Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents

Re: Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    And I have a B - bike now for the inevitable practice session crash!
    LOL Same....

Were getting off track here, this threads suppose to be about women and how some of them want to be treated special vs. the rest of the women that just wanna be treated like one of the guys.
    Last edited by DaveP; 10-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

Were getting off track here, this threads suppose to be about women
    well seeing as the tangent was about you and fawaz....I'd say we're still on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    All those things are pretty minimal expenses when you factor in the additional tracktime you are getting. $100 for 9 hours of tracktime!!!!
    If you were to get that much tracktime anywhere else you will be paying at least 3 times as much and it wouldn't take very many weekends for any additonal expenses you mentioned to be offset by the tracktime you get.

I don't really see how an ez up, etc is necessary for racing but not for trackdays. I would imagine the sun would be just as bright and the and the rain just as wet on race days and track days. most people have bought coolers, extension cords, gas cans, etc at some point in their lives and don't buy them specifically for racing. I'm brown and as such not very handy or outdoorsy and I still had all of those things.

The only things you mentioned that I bought that I didn't already have was :
    Generator - $100 at walmart
    tirewarmers - $425 (I bought brand new bickles, but you could buy used warmers for much less)
    Ez-up - $70 at walmart but I bring it on picnics etc as well.

And I still raced my first two rounds without them. Keep in mind my name has never graced a podium, and i'm ok with that.
    I was just looking for a place to practice and learn as much as I could, before I get serious next year and for that I think SOAR was the best value by far.
    Aha! If you ever plan on running a $100 generator anywhere near me i'll make a point of making your life very difficult.

No question though, SOAR delivers a really good $/track time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Pffffft...I put all that in my Golf!!!
    Well you sir, are a trooper.

that $100 genny will only make it through first practice anyway.

I've used it all season and its been fantastic.

Everyone always comments on how quite it is as well, probably one of the quitest in the paddock. It won't last forever but it got me through the season and is still going strong. I can look for a deal on a bigger replacement over the winter.

It does the job of keeping my warmers going. .

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    that $100 genny will only make it through first practice anyway.

Right... ok so if you want to be treated special, race in an all womens race. nothing wrong with that at all to be honest. I would race in it if I was a woman.

If you want to kick boys ***** like Marta does then race with the rest of us.

If you can afford trackdays you can afford a race weekend...... if you want to forgo some extra bells and whistles.

Don't let lack of mechanical know how scare you. There will be more people willing to help you than you will need. A SOAR race paddock is generally a much more friendly and knowledgable than any trackday I have been to.
    If you are unsure just message a SOAR racer and let them know this will be your first weekend I am sure that they will be more than willing to let you pit next to them and give you a hand. Hell if there is anyone scared of it please message me and I will help anyways I can.

My first weekend I had my street bike with taped up lights, in a rental van and a plank of wood, and a cooler. That was it. I wasn't fast, but It had the time of my life.

I don't have very much mechanical know how, but as soon as other racers found out that it was my first weekend they were helping me unload/ load the bike. Taught me how to use tie downs. Gave advice on suspension settings and tire pressures. Gave tips on riding, even went out with me on practice sessions to show me how to ride properly.

No matter if you are a man or woman. A race paddock is nothing to be scared of.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    LOL Same....

Were getting off track here, this threads suppose to be about women and how some of them want to be treated special vs. the rest of the women that just wanna be treated like one of the guys.
    Last edited by Fawaz; 10-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Just did my first full season of track, and also my very first race at the last SOAR round...
    It has been such a wonderful experience, and found nothing other than support and some really great people. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful. I used to come and pit by myself, but once you got to know people there, it started to become like a family. That's with both track days and SOAR. I don't ever recall a time where someone would not be willing to offer advice or help. Most understand that everyone had to start somewhere.
    As a woman, I can honestly say that I've had no problems or issues with my gender at the track. Even at the last race, I entered in Open Sprint, Rookie Cup and Formula Femme, and got some awesome support from other racers, male and female. It was the single most exhilarating experience of my life.
    For those women who are still debating doing track or racing, just go ahead and do it. I don't have very much experience, co-ordination, or natural talent, and had to learn (and still learning) how to ride my bike. If I can do it, you for sure can do it too... just get out there and have some fun

SUNNY#525
    www.tracksidecuts.com
    www.stoopidracing.com

www.981FreeFM.ca
    www.rocketfireworks.ca

http://www.womex.ca
    www.soaracing.com

Thanks to our 2012 sponsors: 98.1 Free FM, Rocket Fireworks, World of Motorcycles Expo, Trackside Cuts, RaceLine Custom Racing Leathers, 2Ride Motorcycle Magazine, Hindle Exhaust, Motion Pro Inc., WIZ Racing and Slightly Stoopid Racing