Sportbike rental in Maui

Thread: Sportbike rental in Maui

Sportbike rental in Maui

Im leaving for my honeymoon in Maui in two weeks and my wife suggested that we rent scooters while we are there. I was checking out some of the attractions and this picture caught my eye:

http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/plan/th..._interest/hana

The hana highway that runs along the coast with over 600 corners in 54 miles!!!

I have found HD rentals there, but no sport bike rentals in Maui yet(they have R6, gsxr750 rentals on honolulu though). Anyone rent a sportbike/SM bike in Maui?

Re: Sportbike rental in Maui

My Cousin used these guys, rented a Duc Monster from them, said it was pricey but well worth it. Not sure how far they are from where you will be staying exactly.

http://www.islandriders.com/

yeah, been on the road to hana... you so don't want to ride a sport bike the whole way through.. it turns into a dirt road. I had a jeep, which was awesome. On a sport bike you'll get halfway and then need to turn around because the road turns into an motocross track.
    2008 SV650S - Grey on Grey

Quote Originally Posted by ajdomi View Post
    My Cousin used these guys, rented a Duc Monster from them, said it was pricey but well worth it. Not sure how far they are from where you will be staying exactly.

http://www.islandriders.com/
    Hrmm.. hope they offer a monster with a passenger seat.. otherwise I might have to try the buell and see what the hoopla is about.

Congrats bud. Was in Maui for my honeymoon in July 09. You will need a car the entire time you're there. Scooters are pretty much useless especially since you'd have to pay for a car anyhow. If you really wanted to rent a bike for a day or two just to ride some roads its probably an unforgettable experience!

The Hana highway can be done on a bike except its not the most practical thing to do. What you don't see are the pictures of daily traffic jams on the Hana highway from all the tourists like us in cars with our AC blasting. We drive slow and make frequent stops. There are occasionally rock slides that close the highway too. Don't forget you're also driving into a rainforest zone (one of the wettest on earth). There are so many other great roads on Maui that I wish I had a bike to ride. If money was no object I would have rented something.

BTW, my 2 weeks in Maui, the closest thing to a sportbike I saw was a Honda Hornet 599. Locals tend to ride scooters, dirt, and dual sports. Tourists ride the HD's.

Have a great honeymoon and if you need a good guide-book, "Maui Revealed" is probably the best. Frommer's was ok too.

Go eat at Mama's Fish House.

I appreciate all the tips!!!! We are also spending some time on Kauai. I'll see if there are any riding roads worth renting a bike for there as well. What roads do you recommend in Maui?
    Congrats on your marriage too

Quote Originally Posted by Hoach View Post
    Congrats bud. Was in Maui for my honeymoon in July 09. You will need a car the entire time you're there. Scooters are pretty much useless especially since you'd have to pay for a car anyhow. If you really wanted to rent a bike for a day or two just to ride some roads its probably an unforgettable experience!

The Hana highway can be done on a bike except its not the most practical thing to do. What you don't see are the pictures of daily traffic jams on the Hana highway from all the tourists like us in cars with our AC blasting. We drive slow and make frequent stops. There are occasionally rock slides that close the highway too. Don't forget you're also driving into a rainforest zone (one of the wettest on earth). There are so many other great roads on Maui that I wish I had a bike to ride. If money was no object I would have rented something.

BTW, my 2 weeks in Maui, the closest thing to a sportbike I saw was a Honda Hornet 599. Locals tend to ride scooters, dirt, and dual sports. Tourists ride the HD's.

Have a great honeymoon and if you need a good guide-book, "Maui Revealed" is probably the best. Frommer's was ok too.

Go eat at Mama's Fish House.
    Last edited by mma01; 10-01-2009 at 02:49 PM.