Ducati 848, Daytona Triumph 675, CBR600RR, GSXR 750 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ducati 848, Daytona Triumph 675, CBR600RR, GSXR 750

Re: Ducati 848, Daytona Triumph 675, CBR600RR, GSXR 750

Out of the list the 750 takes the win! The 750 is an absolute thrill to ride! You can get an orange one so you don't have to get new gear. R6 and CBR600 are in the same league so you won't be getting that fresh new bike feeling.
    Chris
    05 Red Ducati Monster 620 (sold)
    09 Balloon White Suzuki Hayabusa

All the bikes you're looking at are compared here:

2009 Supersport Shootout VII

Here's the end result:

Last edited by Metropole; 09-29-2009 at 03:40 PM.

As pretty as you may be (and I've only seen you from behind),

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    I love my 848. It'll feel way different then your R6 though. Might take you some time to get used to if you do end up getting it. Great bike, even powerband lots of low end tourque, handles great. I find it pretty nimble and easy to get down through the corners. Insurance is a b*tch, but I'm still pretty young so that doesn't really help. Oh and you're a girl right? Prepare to get lots of attention. Girls on bikes get a lot of attention regardless, but on a duc... it's even worse!!

Good luck with your decision.
    I'd still look at the 848 first. Sorry.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Metropole View Post
    All the bikes you're looking at are compared here:

2009 Supersport Shootout VII

Here's the end result:

I wonder what's wrong with the brakes of the Ducati??? I find nothing to say agaisnt them. Too powerful maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by KTM250SX View Post
    I wonder what's wrong with the brakes of the Ducati??? I find nothing to say agaisnt them. Too powerful maybe?
    They get criticised for not being progressive enough. They do need a finer touch I have to admit, but one finger operation usually helps.

London to TO and inbetween, depends on the day

Re: As pretty as you may be (and I've only seen you from behind),

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I'd still look at the 848 first. Sorry.

Of course! That's what makes people look in the first place.

Scoring on that test is extremely subjective - appearance, ergonomics. First is highly related to your personal sense of aesthetics and 2nd to the way you're built. And what is 'cool factor'?
    What about those weight scores, when some of the bikes are less than 1lb apart, does that warrant 2 more points?

I wouldn't look at those scores much at all. There's no doubt that Triumph and Ducati will have a different feel to them because their technology varies the most from the rest of the group. All Japanese inline 4 SS bikes are virtually the same though when it comes to performance and it's more about your personal comfort level than any test can show you.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Scoring on that test is extremely subjective - appearance, ergonomics. First is highly related to your personal sense of aesthetics and 2nd to the way you're built. And what is 'cool factor'?
    What about those weight scores, when some of the bikes are less than 1lb apart, does that warrant 2 more points?

I wouldn't look at those scores much at all. There's no doubt that Triumph and Ducati will have a different feel to them because their technology varies the most from the rest of the group. All Japanese inline 4 SS bikes are virtually the same though when it comes to performance and it's more about your personal comfort level than any test can show you.
    LOL +1
    I love how all the bikes failed most of the performance scoring. They make these bikes sound retardedly slow.
    Last edited by Sagittarius30; 09-29-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius30 View Post
    LOL +1
    I love how all the bikes failed most of the performance scoring. They make these bikes sound retardedly slow.
    Im assuming the performance scores are normalized for comparison purposes... having less than 2.5 or 5 doesnt mean its "failling"

hmm I wonder what it would take to get a 10 on horsepower? maybe a hayabusa?

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    hmm I wonder what it would take to get a 10 on horsepower? maybe a hayabusa?
    An Apollo rocket.

I ride a 07 750 Gixxer and absolutely love it. If you want to come see it you are welcome. However it has been lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by KTM250SX View Post
    what will the bike be used for mainly? I think you must factor this into your decision.
    I have an 848 and it is the greates bike ever... for the track! I think the Daytona falls into the same category.
    If you want a sportsbike but need some "friendliness" for everyday street riding then the CBR600RR should be your first choice.
    Bike will be used on a regular basis, not as a track bike. That's how you use your 848, right? Would you have any complaints?

Quote Originally Posted by biggie636 View Post
    Agreed, the 848 is designed for the racetrack, I rode one around the streets for two months this summer and I thought my back was going to give out. You sit on the bike bent over the tank in the crouched racing position.
    But doesn't that not matter since you know you're riding such a sick piece of machinery? a little pain here and there is actually a reminder that you're a rider for me it was anyway... miss it!

Wow... didn't know my thread was gonna grow that fast and that long thank you all! You've been very helpful

848 owner on this end, also female.
    Ride height on the 848 is taller than the japs so if you are a shorty this may influence you. I'm lucky that I'm tall with a good inseam length and honestly pretty much fit all bikes with feet/toes on the ground, motards included.
    I would *STRONGLY* recommend that even if you cannot demo ride the bike you sit on them. They are all very different (regardless of how they feel in motion) and you may find one or another not suited to your body type.
    I have ridden all but the Triumph.
    Old track back is a cbr600, also ridden gsxr on the track through turn 2.

Both jap bikes are easy rides (in my opinion), shorter ride heights, maintenance, spare parts significantly easier - especially if you wrench at home.

848 - beautiful ride. absolutely love the feel of a twin over an inline 4. Prepare to spend at least 500-600 changing your suspension if you are considering riding street primarily and weigh less than 200lb - the OEM Showa shocks are ridiculously stiff and the bike will try to buck you off if you are not careful - GTA roads are not conducive to track stiff suspension. Bear in mind all your maintenance will be much pricier and if new and you wish not invalidate your warranty this means oil changes, valve maintenance, blah blah must be done by a stealership = $$$. You will also pay a greater insurance premium.
    I ride mine both street and track - def a nicer machine for the track as this is the bikes natural habitat (cue Hinterland Who's Who theme) but I have found it surprisingly manageable for the street despite crappy mileage.

All are great bikes. Only *you* know your riding style, what you like, and physically what works for you. What are your expectations and purpose of the bike? What is your financial flexibility? Which bike brings *that* smile to your lips when you walk up to it? THESE should be the determining factors. Don't forget how they ride will be very different since you are comparing apples an oranges between the twin, triple, i4. How you ride may also influence which engine character suits you.

If you want to be a tourist like many go for it - I vote for being a motorcyclist instead

Anyway this is far too long and I rarely post on here anymore so back under my rock I go.
    Last edited by Ankale; 09-30-2009 at 03:03 AM.
    ~the b**** didn't fall off, she got her own bike~

Quote Originally Posted by Ankale View Post
    848 owner on this end, also female.
    Ride height on the 848 is taller than the japs so if you are a shorty this may influence you. I'm lucky that I'm tall with a good inseam length and honestly pretty much fit all bikes with feet/toes on the ground, motards included.
    I would *STRONGLY* recommend that even if you cannot demo ride the bike you sit on them. They are all very different (regardless of how they feel in motion) and you may find one or another not suited to your body type.
    I have ridden all but the Triumph.
    Old track back is a cbr600, also ridden gsxr on the track through turn 2.

Both jap bikes are easy rides (in my opinion), shorter ride heights, maintenance, spare parts significantly easier - especially if you wrench at home.

848 - beautiful ride. absolutely love the feel of a twin over an inline 4. Prepare to spend at least 500-600 changing your suspension if you are considering riding street primarily and weigh less than 200lb - the OEM Showa shocks are ridiculously stiff and the bike will try to buck you off if you are not careful - GTA roads are not conducive to track stiff suspension. Bear in mind all your maintenance will be much pricier and if new and you wish not invalidate your warranty this means oil changes, valve maintenance, blah blah must be done by a stealership = $$$. You will also pay a greater insurance premium.
    I ride mine both street and track - def a nicer machine for the track as this is the bikes natural habitat (cue Hinterland Who's Who theme) but I have found it surprisingly manageable for the street despite crappy mileage.

All are great bikes. Only *you* know your riding style, what you like, and physically what works for you. What are your expectations and purpose of the bike? What is your financial flexibility? Which bike brings *that* smile to your lips when you walk up to it? THESE should be the determining factors. Don't forget how they ride will be very different since you are comparing apples an oranges between the twin, triple, i4. How you ride may also influence which engine character suits you.

If you want to be a tourist like many go for it - I vote for being a motorcyclist instead

Anyway this is far too long and I rarely post on here anymore so back under my rock I go.
    Nice post. maybe you should do more. The only comment I'd add is that I changed out my 1098 OEM Showa spring for an (correctly weighted) Ohlins spring (not full shock) and only paid about $100. Athough I took the shock off and remounted it myself, which wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duc View Post
    GP Bikes has demo days this Friday and Saturday. You could probably knock off the 848 and the Triumph there. I would book instead of just lobbing up.
    Demos are for Ducatis only this w/e.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

I just picked up a new 675 that I plan on using for the track after I break it in. I currently own a Speed Triple and had a 848 and a Monster 600 in the past.

The 675 is the best SS I've ever ridden, to quote Ferris Bueller...

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Quote Originally Posted by Vikulkin View Post
    Bike will be used on a regular basis, not as a track bike. That's how you use your 848, right? Would you have any complaints?
    I bought it originally for both street & track but have now converted it for track use only. I bought another bike (Hypoermotard) for the street; it brings me much more fun in my daily commute.
    Good point also made by Ankale about ride height. I am short and only touch with my toes. There is no ride height adjuster on the 848; you can buy one for 100$; but lowering the rear will "screw up" your all bike geometry...