First Bike: Cruiser

Thread: First Bike: Cruiser

First Bike: Cruiser

Decided to go the cruiser path instead of a sports bike.
    I was originally going to get an old 1983 Honda Shadow 750 for about $1500-2000, but after some thought and alot of advice, I was pushed away from buying and old bike and have been steered into spending a little more for newer (aka 1990-2000 cruiser).

I really like the style of the Honda Shadows (as they have that harley look). I dont really like the yamaha virago's.

My question:
    1. Anyone know or have a Honda Shadow 1990ish, 750 for around $3000-4000.

2. What other bikes/makes have that same look and are around 3000-4000.

Keep in mind, this will be my first bike.

Thanks guys,

Re: First Bike: Cruiser

what's wrong with buying an early 80's or older bike? Since I have a reliable bike I was looking and still am for an old cheap non-sport type bike with say 400 ish to 800 ish cc's.

The only thing I like about the Virago is the super low seat height. Otherwise if I'm going for an old bike I'd rather have a Honda something.

My `02 Shadow spirit had 9200kms. on it when I bought it. It also had saddle bags, aftermarket pipes, a light bar, and a windshield already installed on it. It was $5000. out the door (around $4300 before taxes and everything) from GP bikes. I absolutely love it, and it has been a great first bike. No problems to speak of. Keep on looking, you should be able to find a good deal. We are coming up on the off season, and this is when you will be able to find some good deals (if you have a place to store it for the winter, and if you can handle looking at your new bike all winter, and not being able to ride it! ). Keep your eyes open, you'll find what you're looking for!

You may also want to check out the v-star's, the suzuki M50 or the Kawasaki vulcan. All good first cruisers.

older bikes have some parts availability issues

If you are looking at a $2000 older bike, and could get a current model for $3500 then you are likely better off getting the newer bike.

You will have difficulty getting accessories and parts for older bikes.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Yes, but usually there's a reason a 80's bike is for 2 grand...because its been looked after vs a '90 to '00 that's been beat for 3 grand. I'm just saying I wouldn't be so bias about newer is better but then again maybe that's just me 'cuz i own an '80s lol hypocrites these days.

Pocket

The Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan has that Harley kinda look. Good bike too, solid and dependable. They've been making essentially the same bike for over ten years now.

Got to chime in here on the positives of old bike ownership. Having not owned anything newer than '83 I think I'm knowledgeable on the subject. Older bikes can provide much better value for the buck, if kept up they don't depreciate as quickly as a newer bike and if you drop it it won't hurt as much. as already mentioned, they are usually cheaper to purchase.

Parts are generally not a problem. While the manufacturers may be discontinuing some parts, many standard type parts are still available as often parts were used on multiple models over many years. There are also quite a few after market and specialty parts vendors on line like Z1 enterprises, Mikes XS, Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk etc.

Knowledge about older bikes is all over the web with many forums dedicated to specific brand and even models.The GS Resources covers suzuki GS bikes from the 70's to the 90s and the XS650 Garage has everything you need to know about Yammie 650s. The memberships on these types of boards are enthusiasts about old bikes in general and often will answer any question about any bike or try hard to refer you to someone with the right info.

Older bikes are less expensive to insure but you should note that not all insurers are interested in bikes over 25 years old. Just something to be aware of. I have never had any difficulty in getting insurance so I don't consider this a big problem.

The only other thing about old bikes is that they are best suited for folks that like to do a little wrenching since it is normal for problems to crop up and old bikes may need a bit more TLC. Also, less and less dealers will work on old bikes but there is a resurgence in small stores specializing in them. Like anything in life this can become costly so its always good to look after things yourself.

Admittedly, they are not good for everyone but I think they can be a bargain when compared with more modern equipment. Riding an old bike can be a blast and you'll find them a good way to meet people. Everytime I park, I get someone coming over to comment and tell me about when they had one back in the day.

Not a lot of downside to them in my mind.

Good luck finding the right bike for you.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Spyug; 09-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

I also have 2 80's Honda bikes. A 1980 CM400T and a 1982 CB750K. Both cost $900 to buy total. The 400 needed carbs cleaned, tires and a battery. That totalled $600 to get on the road (and alot of cleaning as it sat for a few years) HAve been riding it for over 2 years and it is perfect.
    The 750 needed carbs cleaned, a battery and the pulsar for the ignition (happened to have a spare from a friends bike with a siezed engine) and again a whole lotta cleaning as it also sat for a few years.
    The 750 will be around $600 also to get on the road.
    Now yes I do my own wrenching but with older bikes it is easy.
    I can ride both these bikes (wife now drives the 400) for a few years and sell them for more than I have into them or even sell cheap and re-coup my money. These bikes will never depreciate below what i have into them. To me I love the way the older style bike's look and I haven't had a problem finding any parts for them yet (but granted I haven't really needed that much).
    If you have absolutely no mechanical ability then yeah a newer bike is the way to go, but keep in mind all bikes just like cars break down and the age of the vehicle most times has little to do with it. So unless ya buy something that has a warranty it really doesn't matter what year ya buy as long as ya research it to see what the common issues are and know what to look for.
    If you are not mechanically inclined take someone with you that is to look at the bike. Even if it has a safety cert. it doesn't mean it won't cost ya.
    Good luck in finding the bike ya want.

I also agree that old bikes have huge benefits. Mid '80s bikes were very well engineered. Not complex but robust and built to last. Bikes that have a longer production run will have plentiful parts available on on eBay.

The initial purchase price of older bikes is very deceiving, as you need to factor in new tires (every 5 years), chain/rear sprocket, new battery, etc. Known consumables such as these can cost you $300-400. There are inevitable surprises that crop up, so take this into account when doing up a budget. You can't find all the issues when you look over a bike.

Inevitably there will be electrical botching by previous owners that needs to be undone and then done correctly. A repair manual with electrical schematic is important.

If you can't wrench and don't want to learn, buy new. That said, resuscitating an old bike is a lot of fun, particularly when you first start your bike. While buying parts takes patience, there's a lot you can do to make your bike personal. I started with lessons from Dan.