No more vintage at Shanny

Thread: No more vintage at Shanny

No more vintage at Shanny

Chris announced yesterday that the vintage classes would be dropped for 2010. Good news for SOAR, should translate to more entries.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Re: No more vintage at Shanny

wow. I'm surprised by that. Was it a matter of very few vintage entries?

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    wow. I'm surprised by that. Was it a matter of very few vintage entries?
    Bingo.

They are all buying SV's now
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Bingo.

I guess they all figure with you out, they stand a better chance?

or did you realize they were all coming for ya so you got out just in time?

So that Vintage weekend is gone? At least there's still Mosport.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    no i don't think they are referring to the VRRA's vintage weekend at Shannonville. Seems to me they are referring to RACE no longer offering races for vintage classes.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    There is still the VRRA. This is just the few vintage classes that the RACE series contained.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Bingo.

Yup...I'm looking for an 05/06 race prepped SV to start with. Know of any for sale?

As for RACE dropping classes from the schedule, "Use it or Lose it" comes to mind with the other smaller classes as well. It's not good business sense to run a class that has less than 10 bikes entered round after round. Track time is too precious on a race weekend.
    Last edited by guest_zx6r; 09-28-2009 at 10:21 PM.

From SOAR's standpoint we have no intention of dropping vintage. Many true purists don't like our series however as we dont subdivide vintage into many classes (we have 3) and our rules are a floating scale with 20yrs and older being vintage. We also dont get to wound up about period this and that.
    It may not be a true vintage in a VRRA/RACE term but its serving us well and I personally have a soft spot for vintage so in SOAR vintage will remain for the forseeable future.
    Just wondering though the back lash at VRRA's upcoming AGM where members will now have to buy a RACE license for insurance (VRRA buys their insurance at RACE) and not have classes in their series. Should be interesting to be a fly on the wall.

I think it is a good thing.

RACE has had low numbers in a few classes for some time now. That eats up time in the day, and because of it, races get shortened and cancelled. This affects the majority, who are racing in those other classes.

Also, its good in that it will focus those vintage racers to other series, where the class is supported. SOAR will likely see an increase in their vintage class, which means more bikes on the grid. This is good for SOAR, and even better for the racers as there will be more riders, and hense, more battles and competition.

The VRRA will also see a slight increase in attendances, and participation from its members and racers.

Its good for everyone. RACE and its participants benefit. SOAR and its series benefits. VRRA benefits. The racers benefit with betting quality racing.

Someone tell me where there is a draw back?

Many Vintage racers also ran Sportsmen classes. With Vintage out, it will leave only one race per weekend and some may choose not to spend the money for just one class. As a result, Sportsmen may be the next casualty (except Middleweight where SV entries are large).

Craig 57

It would make sense to drop the separate classes for heavyweight and lightweight, and just run a single vintage class. That would address fzrcraig's point and still free up time during the day. Most weekends, there have only been one or two entries in heavyweight vintage.

Regarding "there are other organizations and other tracks" ... True, and SOAR is on an upswing. But, personally, Cayuga is not my favorite track, and VRRA needs to sort out their political BS.

The VRRA will always have some political BS. That's what comes of being a club where everyone has a voice. Our strengths are our weaknesses.

Ken, I don't think it matters about the RACE licence because we can buy a weekend licence for $15, which works out to $60 for the year. If we didn't have their insurance we'd have to get it elsewhere and it would still cost. I used to buy the whole year's licence on the off chance I would run a weekend or Sunday at RACE, but with only one class to run in I'd be more likely to mosey on down to SOAR.

Mal

BRAKING NEWS.......

hmmmm.... i just read on the vrra forum that RACE and vrra are collaborating on a combined RACE/vrra three race series for period 4 bikes (pre 1990). apparently all thats left to decide is which 3 race weekends. pretty much a done deal has been stated on the vrra's "geneal information" forum.

it was reported that Chris and Brian are well beyond the "just considering it" stage.

thought all you vintage folks out there might want to look into this.
    Last edited by boyoboy; 11-18-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca