Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What year is this bike?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1997?

25 60.98%
  • 2000?

10 24.39%
  • Other?

6 14.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR?

Re: Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR?

That bike is hideous.
    2011: Second season sophomore

why dont you look at your ownership. usually states the year there.
    Last edited by TSquared; 09-28-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Next bike?
    1999 Yamaha YZF R6 (SOLD - Owned it briefly, very nice bike.)
    1990 Honda CBR600F1 (SOLD - Old bike, but good upgrade)

2000 Kawasaki ZZR250R (1 Seasons - SOLD - Great bike)
    2007 Honda CBR125R (1 Week - SOLD - too slow, felt like a scooter)

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    and in the event of an accident, coverages will be denied on a fraudulent information basis
    Unless the people saying that are actual insurance agents, I think it's a fair bit of conjecture. Most vehicles (cars/bikes) can be modified to improve performance, and certain insurance companies have no problem with a modified vehicle. State Farm has no problems with a modified car, so I can't see them getting upset about the bike.

The fact is, he owns a 600cc bike, with a *possibly* improved engine. As of yet, he doesn't know it's a 750. Even if he does look it up, it's just a modification, the bike is a 600cc bike, much in the same way that you can modify a car by exchanging engines. Dropping a Ford Cosworth engine into a Chevy doesn't make it a Ford :P

At the end of the day, I'd just delete the thread, look for the 749cc stamp on the engine, and start privately messaging the guy who knew the previous owner.

And you have a very very fast bike for sub 3k
    I wave at kids as I pass them in a hope that there's a gray-pants-wearing, beige-volvo-driving accountant somewhere in the future that dies everytime I do.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    From what I know, there was nothing wrong with the bike and you will save on insurance because what he did. The VIN is not a true indication of that bike. A lot of it was done because of insurance purposes.
    Beware of not disclosing to your insurer . . .. your pink slip might end simply be a worthless piece of paper if you try to make a claim in the future. You must disclose modifications to your insurer, or they have the right to deny any claims due to misrepresentation. I wouldn't risk it myself. I doubt that the premium difference between a 600 and a 750 will be that much different anyways.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    People are generally asking $3,000-$4,000 for similar bikes with similar millage which means most pay ~ $2,500-$3,500 for them but if you really have a 750 swap then I'd say it's quite worth it. Even if not, it's a decent price. Unless something's wrong with the bike or you don't feel comfortable with it - keep it. Not worth the trouble if you like it.
    but the OP doesn't know the actual mileage, or the accident history.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    Theres really no way of telling, unless you run the vin, which you already did and said it was a 2000. If Strictlye is saying its his friends 1997, i dont really see why hed be lying to you, and you probably have a bike that got crashed and repaired, and the seller lied to you
    The names of all previous owners will be in the UVIP. The owners listed will be for the registered VIN, which would be for the frame in your case.

I think the VIN on my K1 GSX-R1000 is printed in two places on the bike, and they are supposed to match up. Perhaps your bike has this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Unless the people saying that are actual insurance agents, I think it's a fair bit of conjecture. Most vehicles (cars/bikes) can be modified to improve performance, and certain insurance companies have no problem with a modified vehicle. State Farm has no problems with a modified car, so I can't see them getting upset about the bike.
    I work in the insurance industry and I can assure you that claims are denied on this very basis. You must disclose modifications to your insurer, especially ones as drastic as an engine swap.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but I would hate to see this bite the OP in the butt someday. not only could a claim be denied, but his insurance record would be marred with a misrepresentation flag.

Would this still be the cause if he only had liability coverage and was not at fault? Even if he was at fault his insurance wouldn't cover it so would he still get a misrepusentation flag?
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    Would this still be the cause if he only had liability coverage and was not at fault? Even if he was at fault his insurance wouldn't cover it so would he still get a misrepusentation flag?
    Yes.

Regardless of the claim, be it a theft, at-fault collision, or not-at-fault collision, if the insurer discovers that you were misrepresenting yourself, they can deny the claim. Misrepresentation comes in many forms such as:

• Not disclosing modifications to the vehicle
    • "Hidden operators" on the policy
    • Lying about the vehicle usage
    • etc.

You must be honest when applying for insurance, or risk having your claim denied.

If the OP is involved in an at-fault collision with only basic coverages, the insurer will not replace/repair the bike since they don't have Collision coverage; however, they can still deny the claim, since the displacement of the bike is part of the calculation for determining the risk of a claim being made.

i agree with telling the insurance you have a 750 and not a 600 just for the simple fact that insurance companies can make your life hell but:

how would they know if it has a different engine?

say your bike got stolen how would they know it had a 750cc? do they have a crystal ball?

if you bike gets written off is there really a mechanic that checks over the ball of aluminum and metal? and checks engine numbers to frame numbers?

i am just curious because with the old gsxr's and the zx7 swaps were very easy and doable and i am pretty sure most of those riders didnt claim their bike as 900cc instead of 750's or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    i agree with telling the insurance you have a 750 and not a 600 just for the simple fact that insurance companies can make your life hell but:

how would they know if it has a different engine?

say your bike got stolen how would they know it had a 750cc? do they have a crystal ball?

if you bike gets written off is there really a mechanic that checks over the ball of aluminum and metal? and checks engine numbers to frame numbers?
    There is a possibility that you could get away with it, but it isn't worth the risk IMO.

Didn't the 750 have inverted forks??? I'd guess a 97' with a womens touch on the paint scheme.

Theres no way of telling based on the pic's, also if it was crashed and repaired in a butcher shop, you might have the vin of another totaled bike that was sold for parts, and claimed as repaired, which ended up being on your bike. I guess its a mystery that will never be solved. If the bike runs great I say **** it!
    My top 5 iPhone apps:

#1. Amoveo #2. Angry birds #3. PS Photoshop #4. Real Racing #5. Cut The Rope

2008 Yamaha R6 - CE - SOLD

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic21557_1.gif

Neither!!! It's a cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
    Theres no way of telling based on the pic's, also if it was crashed and repaired in a butcher shop, you might have the vin of another totaled bike that was sold for parts, and claimed as repaired, which ended up being on your bike. I guess its a mystery that will never be solved. If the bike runs great I say **** it!
    I'm personally leery of anything that is likely to have been in an accident or have a hidden history. That's not to say that it won't be an excellent bike, but I would prefer to pay a little extra and get a clean bike with a documented past.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I'm personally leery of anything that is likely to have been in an accident or have a hidden history. That's not to say that it won't be an excellent bike, but I would prefer to pay a little extra and get a clean bike with a documented past.
    Agreed, personally I'd get a brand new bike and pay couple of k's over, but in the OP's case he has no choice, unless he is willing to sell the bike and get something else.
    My top 5 iPhone apps:

Quote Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
    Agreed, personally I'd get a brand new bike and pay couple of k's over, but in the OP's case he has no choice, unless he is willing to sell the bike and get something else.
    assuming he payed around $3500 that is considerably cheaper then any new 600cc bike, he would pay 3 times this amount for a new 600 SS.

just enjoy the bike dude, if it blows up in a year just throw in another engine. those older SS are easy to work on and parts are cheap, and they are essentially bullet proof unless you really neglect to maintain them so stop worrying so much and go ride already.

+1. That's what I did. Bought a 2000 R6 and rode it 10,000km from February until July and sold it for nearly what I paid for it. Grabbed a good deal on my gixxer and that's all she wrote.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    (Mods: Progrip Tank Protector, TechSpec Tank Pads, Renthal Grips)
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    (Mods: M4 Slipon, Blue Pazzo Shorties, Carbon Fiber Chain Guard, Renthal Kevlar Grips, Puig Double Bubble, Stomp Grips, Driven Bar Ends, Vortex Rearsets)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

It could be a `97 or a `00

The generations went like this.

SRAD:
    `96 to `00 600 cc - always had carbs
    `96 to `97 750 cc - were carbed.
    `98 to `99 750 cc - was fuel injected.

K1:
    2000 : gsxr 750 was introduced
    2001: gsxr 600 was introduced.

SRAD 600 vs. 750:

600 : Conventional forks.
    750 : inverted forks, braced rear swing arm.
    750 FI: the gauge lights were different, it has a FI light.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    assuming he payed around $3500 that is considerably cheaper then any new 600cc bike, he would pay 3 times this amount for a new 600 SS.

just enjoy the bike dude, if it blows up in a year just throw in another engine. those older SS are easy to work on and parts are cheap, and they are essentially bullet proof unless you really neglect to maintain them so stop worrying so much and go ride already.
    That's why in my respond I specifically stated "PERSONALLY" which means that this is what I would do, for him I said that he "can get something else" Next time read through a comment and make sure you understand what one is stating before making such a blunt reply.
    My top 5 iPhone apps: