Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What year is this bike?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1997?

25 60.98%
  • 2000?

10 24.39%
  • Other?

6 14.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR?

Banned

Re: Is this a 1997 GSXR or a 2000 GSXR?

Looks like you bought yourself a problem.

There should be a VIN stamp on the frame, and engine that match.

I agree with Viffer, full disclosure to insurance, in which case they may not insure this bike. But you'll never get insurance for anything again in your future if you lie to an insurance co.

Are you starting to see why this guy sold you this bike?

There are some great deals on overstocked GSXR's right now, brand new at SON, and SOB. Go after this dude and get your money back, and buy yourself a new, legit Gixxer.

Banned

if you bike gets written off is there really a mechanic that checks over the ball of aluminum and metal? and checks engine numbers to frame numbers?
    yes there is. a few actually. accident reconstruction engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Pic View Post

There should be a VIN stamp on the frame, and engine that match.

I agree with Viffer, full disclosure to insurance, in which case they may not insure this bike. But you'll never get insurance for anything again in your future if you lie to an insurance co.

Are you starting to see why this guy sold you this bike?

There are some great deals on overstocked GSXR's right now, brand new at SON, and SOB. Go after this dude and get your money back, and buy yourself a new, legit Gixxer.
    I think that's going the other extreme. Buying a brand-new bike isn't necessary; I just prefer to know a little bit about the bike, or at least be reassured that nothing is suspect. I was fortunate enough to buy my Gixxer off an OCD friend who owned it since it was brand new, so I knoew everything about the bike.

I'm not sure how the OP's insurance company would deal with the engine swap issue. They might simply rate it as a 750, or they might decide not to write it at all. Are there not differences between the GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 that go beyond the engine (such as a strong frame, stronger brakes, etc.)?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Pic View Post
    I would hardly say he bought himself a problem. Lot's of legitimate bikes have had motor swaps.

Wow... I opened a can of worms.

A) I am keeping the bike.

B) I will declare it to my insurance company if it does have a 750cc engine. I need some electrical work done, so when I get the left fairing off, I will see what kind of engine is in there.

C) I thank you all for your insight. I read ever post very carefully, and feel I made an informed decision

Quote Originally Posted by Rage_A_Holic View Post
    Wow... I opened a can of worms.

A) I am keeping the bike.

B) I will declare it to my insurance company if it does have a 750cc engine. I need some electrical work done, so when I get the left fairing off, I will see what kind of engine is in there.

C) I thank you all for your insight. I read ever post very carefully, and feel I made an informed decision
    I'm sure that you'll enjoy the bike
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)