Anybody here ride a 09 R1? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

Re: Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    who wants clean air anyway
    Go live in Algonquin Park or in Alaska and leave us alone then..........

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    who wants clean air anyway
    says the guy with a full Hindle exhaust on his 1000RR.

didn't remove a cat from the bike though
    nor did I remove the pair valve

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    says the guy with a full Hindle exhaust on his 1000RR.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Banned

Good work turning this into a tree hugging thread.

Traded in my 09 Busa on one and within a day ( 168 km's ) the dealer had it back and I made a deal for my 09 ZX-10R

I hated the R1, the only thing I liked about it was the sound.

The engine heat is nothing like I have ever experienced, in town the temp is so high the fan cycles off and on constant, the thing just cooks your *** and thighs, out on the highway the temp settles a bit, but not much, your *** is not on fire but your thighs still are.

When you start the bike the mode switch defaults to the middle mode so if you want the 100% throttle response you have to toggle it, which is dumb, my 07 and 08 GIXXER 1000 at least was in A mode when you started the bike.

My experience (coming from someone who has had about 20 bikes in the past 5 seasons, 7 different ones just this year) is that the R1 has not lived up to the Hype.
    09 Candy Burnt Orange ZX-10R - Optioned With: OZ/Braking Forged Wheels - Braking Wave Rotors - RACEFIT Growler - 2010 black forks - BMC - NOVA H.I.D.- X-TRE - Jardine - Evotech - PROGRIP - HOTBODIES - Renthal - Pazzo - Rizoma - LSL - Colour matched panels

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Torque View Post

When you start the bike the mode switch defaults to the middle mode so if you want the 100% throttle response you have to toggle it, which is dumb, my 07 and 08 GIXXER 1000 at least was in A mode when you started the bike.

e.

this was done for safety reasons, saving idiots from themselves.

unfortunately, this has to be done these days.

why do you need 100% power at start up anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

+1!
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

I agree in part, YES manufacturers do this for safety reasons mainly because there are no provisions in place, at least year in North America from restricting an in experienced rider from buying one and leaving the Dealership with it, which is sad.

I know you are an experienced rider and if you ever get the opportunity to ride on on the street I think you will agree that the default mode is like riding a 600, and that is not why some of us choose to ride and pay the purchase and insurance costs of a litre bike.
    Last edited by Mega Torque; 09-30-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    09 Candy Burnt Orange ZX-10R - Optioned With: OZ/Braking Forged Wheels - Braking Wave Rotors - RACEFIT Growler - 2010 black forks - BMC - NOVA H.I.D.- X-TRE - Jardine - Evotech - PROGRIP - HOTBODIES - Renthal - Pazzo - Rizoma - LSL - Colour matched panels

I agree in part, YES manufacturers do this for safety reasons mainly because there are no provisions in place, at least year in North America from restricting an in experienced rider from buying one and leaving the Dealership with it, which is sad.

I know you are an experienced rider and if you ever get the opportunity to ride on on the street I think you will agree that the default mode is like riding a 600, and that is not why some of us choose to ride and pay the purchase and insurance costs of a litre bike.
    Seriously, is that concerning? A manufacturer ensuring you don't slide out the rear with cold tires while doing a 90* turn from your parking spot due to a bit of ham fistedness? If you're nitpicking about having to toggle a mode on your bike, I'm really curious as to how legit your nit picking with the R1 could be.

I've ridden several on the street.

I didn't see a problem with it and actually found some though went into it.

its not like you paid for a 1000cc bike and you got the power of a 600.

you received exactly what you paid for, you just have to press a button to activate it.

unfortunately, your arguement carries no weight outside of your ego and desire to have more power, which is easily obtainable.

Banned

The stuff about the switch is nonsense, but the heat sounds like its an issue. I would've just slapped a new exhaust system on it, but whatever... some people don't wanna bother.

Each person differs as to why they like or don't like something, for me the bike simply did not perform as I had expected it to. Yes I could have spent more money on the bike and make some changes swapping out stock parts for aftermarket ones, but I chose to go with my gut instict and just cut my losses.

It seems I am not the only one who dealt their new R1 inside of a week. Two other members on the ZX-10 forum did the same and another member has his for sale now.

This is what the other member on the forum wrote

"If you want a bad *** "600", then BUY the Yamaha 09 R1.

Over all the heat is really bad but probably would be nice in the winter time. The heat and weight were not deal breakers for me, nor was the coolant overflow or the ugliness.

There is just NO power in the low and mid range. For me that was completely unacceptable and I didn't feel there was enough potential to work with it either.

Lack of power and lack of potential power was the deal breaker for me. I could have worked with pretty much everything else.

The question becomes, but others claim it has plenty of power. Yeah for a 600 it does and usually the people making such claims later state they are following proper break in and haven't actually gone over 5000 RPM's yet.

From the very first ride I could tell it was garbage.

I like the apologists claims of how it fools dynos, takes plenty of relearning how to ride it, and you should be happy with it even with it being garbage because Ben Spies wins on it every weekend."

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by etonna View Post
    I'm just looking for some feedback, I fell in love with the 09 when I saw it and it's time for a upgrade. Any known problems with the new bike? Likes or dislikes?
    I think the factory exhaust and heat shields are horrid looking,, but it not a hard fix.. I only took one for a slow test ride and I noticed the heat a lot

But you still won't be able to catch me ......

Its a done deal John, white 2010 on the way, and no I still wont catch you, i hear your getting faster