Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

I'm just looking for some feedback, I fell in love with the 09 when I saw it and it's time for a upgrade. Any known problems with the new bike? Likes or dislikes?

Re: Anybody here ride a 09 R1?

Quote Originally Posted by etonna View Post
    I'm just looking for some feedback, I fell in love with the 09 when I saw it and it's time for a upgrade. Any known problems with the new bike? Likes or dislikes?
    I don't have one, but when we went to the yamaha test days both people who rode the 09 R1 said that the thing ran so hot you could have yourself for lunch after a ride.

Banned

That's nothing an aftermarket exhaust won't fix...

my buddy tested one out and had nothing but good things to say about it, said its got tons of power and will wheelie just about anytime you ask it to

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    That's nothing an aftermarket exhaust won't fix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b-aEalMzd0

Banned

That guy put on slip-on cans... the better idea would be a full exhaust to get rid of the catalytic converter sitting right under the riders thighs. Thats where the real heat is coming from.

the heat of the exhaust is just unacceptable.....how many years have they had to fix this issue and Yamaha just chooses to ignore it. Bad engineering.
    btw.....to the OP it is the heaviest and least powerfull of the litre bikes if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    the heat of the exhaust is just unacceptable.....how many years have they had to fix this issue and Yamaha just chooses to ignore it. Bad engineering.
    btw.....to the OP it is the heaviest and least powerfull of the litre bikes if that matters.
    But has the sickest sound!!!!
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Its hard for them to fix an issue when they have to keep piling more and more emissions/noise control into the exhausts. The pipes run right by the riders leg and ***, that's a tough one to fix.

On the 09 R1 (and possible earlier models?) the catalytic converter is literally right under your thigh... and thats where the most heat collects. I'm positive an aftermarket system will not only free up gobs of horsepower but it will run 10x cooler, guaranteed.

Its hard for them to fix an issue when they have to keep piling more and more emissions/noise control into the exhausts. The pipes run right by the riders leg and ***, that's a tough one to fix.

On the 09 R1 (and possible earlier models?) the catalytic converter is literally right under your thigh... and thats where the most heat collects. I'm positive an aftermarket system will not only free up gobs of horsepower but it will run 10x cooler, guaranteed.
    The Y pipe from Akrapovic did wonder on my buddies 08, as far as removing the cat and alot of the heat that comes with it...

the only person I knew that had one traded it in on day 2. Literally. He was not happy with it all.

Banned

Why wasn't he happy with it?

Maybe people were expecting the crossplane crank to make the bike ride and sound like a twin or something... then its just disappointment from there.

I love the styling, its my fave new liter bike. Beyond that I wouldn't expect anything to feel drastically different from any of the other big bikes.

Why wasn't he happy with it?

Maybe people were expecting the crossplane crank to make the bike ride and sound like a twin or something... then its just disappointment from there.

I love the styling, its my fave new liter bike. Beyond that I wouldn't expect anything to feel drastically different from any of the other big bikes.
    couldn't tell you specifically why. I will say though, that he changes bikes as often as some people change shirts though.

Banned

He obviously didn't give it much of a chance.

IMO all the bikes feel the same... and if they don't, it takes 10 minutes of suspension adjustments to make them handle any way you please.

The only thing I can discern between all the bikes is braking feel, but again if its not quite right all it takes is a new $250 master cylinder and you're back to the top.

my 2007 Honda CBR1000 had no issues with heat, and I don't think the 06-07 ZX10 had issues either and they both have underseat exhaust.

Banned

Yeah the 07 ZX10 wasn't bad, I had one myself. They stuffed the emissions controls under the bike where they belong.

I wouldn't let that problem keep me from buying an R1 though... its easy enough to solve. Plus who wants emissions control on their bike anyway?

who wants clean air anyway