2000 cbr 929rr owners!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 cbr 929rr owners!!

2000 cbr 929rr owners!!

need feed back on this bike.may be buying one tomorrow.
    overall how do u like it,power handling reliability.
    thanks in advance

Re: 2000 cbr 929rr owners!!

make sure the recalls were done. i believe there should be two punch marks on the right rear engine mount (2001 has one punch mark i think, if done).

they are great bikes second season on my 2000 had some electrical issues but think I have them all done now.....and plenty fast

fantastic fast bike.
    Handles like a dream.
    Hard to keep the front wheel on the ground.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

is the recall for the engine or mounts?any links to the tsb?

If the bike your buying doesnt have a steering damper already .. buy one.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Absolutely love it and have no complaints whatsover There's also plenty of aftermarket components available for it too, so if you like working on it yourself you can't lose.

get a powercommander to smooth out the throttle response....that was their first shot at FI

Great bike. Lighter than a 600 and the power of a liter. Huge trunk, and fairly comfortable compared to other SS's. They were only made for two years so chances are you wont see everybody riding the same bike as you. A damper is a MUST on this bike. So get one ASAP before you find out why! A power commander will greatly improve the rideability, the stock fueling is a little twitchy. Stators seem to go fast on these bikes I had to replace mine right after I bought it. Its definately a wheelie whore this could be a good or a bad thing. It is plenty fast, good midrange power but it really wakes up above 8000rpm. Theres a pile of accesories on Ebay. Thats about it.......oh STEERING DAMPER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrrob View Post
    is the recall for the engine or mounts?any links to the tsb?

Recall was for the clutch basket. If the bike was fixed there should be two punch marks where the swing arm mounts to the frame on the right side. I do believe the recall was only in the US. Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy929 View Post
    Great bike. Lighter than a 600 and the power of a liter. Huge trunk, and fairly comfortable compared to other SS's. They were only made for two years so chances are you wont see everybody riding the same bike as you. A damper is a MUST on this bike. So get one ASAP before you find out why! A power commander will greatly improve the rideability, the stock fueling is a little twitchy. Stators seem to go fast on these bikes I had to replace mine right after I bought it. Its definately a wheelie whore this could be a good or a bad thing. It is plenty fast, good midrange power but it really wakes up above 8000rpm. Theres a pile of accesories on Ebay. Thats about it.......oh STEERING DAMPER!!!!

[IMG]http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/dizzy929/phonepics031.jpg[IMG]
    keep on thinking that

Yup for being 10 years old its still a blast to ride with 150hp @ crank 379lbs dry weight and 434lbs wet its still a rocket and loads of room for 6'+ riders Damper is a must as the fronts are way light on these...and swap out stock regulator for a newer mosfet type.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    keep on thinking that
    Maybe I should of said "as light". Either way my 929 feels lighter between my legs than any of the modern 600's.

2008 zx6r dry weight tested 401 lbs. Wet weight 428 lbs

929 dry weight 379lbs, wet weight 434lbs

Cheers

If you want some info on these bikes, check-out fireblades.org
    Last edited by gopro905; 08-06-2010 at 08:49 AM.

^^^^ Hey gopro905, your screen name caught my eye. Thanks for a good deal on your sweet exhaust.

Definitely go to fireblades.org before making your purchase. You'll get TONS of advice from some really great people.

As for my opinion of the bike, I've had one since 2004. I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that there is no other bike I'd rather have. After riding mine on the street for a few years, I switched it to track-only. I now ride a touring bike on the street - it's nothing compared to the 929.

There are newer, faster bikes, but I honestly don't feel the need to get anything other than the 929. I'll ride it till it's dead, then I'll deal with how to replace it. It's going to be tough to find a good replacement.

Are you using it for the street or track?

For the street, it is great. Powerful, but not ridiculous. It's very manageable, power-wise. The recommendation for a power commander is a good one. I don't think you'll need a steering damper unless you intend to be very spirited, or unless you decide to go to the track. For the track, it is essential.

Parts are cheap, lots of aftermarket stuff. In fact, I have a Corbin seat for it if you like, that I'm trying to sell. If you replace the seat, the bike can actually be a very good sport-touring bike, for solo trips. I took mine to Nova Scotia once.

You can do most maintenance yourself, as there are good service manuals out there, and the bike doesn't have any complex electronics or rocket science.

The geometry of the bike as stock is very good - not too aggressive of a riding position. Handling is ok, but definitely softened up for the street. Regardless, if the suspension is stock, it will likely need replacing. The shock must certainly be done by now, and the forks were tuned soft to begin with, and certainly can't have gotten better. It's fine for the street and general usage, but could be so much better. Put in an Ohlins shock, and new springs for the forks, and you will have transformed the handling. The stock handling is fine, but with upgrades this can be one of the finest handling bikes out there.

I'd add braided steel brake lines to the wish list, and I would say they're essential for track use.

And someone mentioned the trunk. In the summer, I could go away for the weekend without anything more than what I could fit in the trunk. One of the last bikes to make such a concession in the name of usability - it's unfortunate that such niceties have been abandoned in more recent designs.

The only bike I'd put up there with the one you're looking at is the 98-2000 R1. Since that era, there are few bikes that have made me want to take out my wallet....

---- D

Dizzy929________ Glad you like the pipe! I"ll be posting up a Devil high-mount 1/2 system soon.

Ive had two ... Still my favourite bike, I shouldn't of sold mine.
    Pm me if you need something painted!!!

It's great bike love the Honda"s as mentioned before a power commander is good idea a steering damper is must !!

thanks to all who have responded.this is a great site with great guys and gals.
    I finally bought a bike.not a 929 though.at the last minute i had a call back for a 00 gsxr 750 that i had seen a week prior,and i couldnt resist,as that was my first pick.
    thanks to all once again