Gear Discount . . . would you participate? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you wear full gear at ALL times for a 20% insurance discount?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 84.81%
  • No

12 15.19%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gear Discount . . . would you participate?

Re: Gear Discount . . . would you participate?

Absolutely! No skin off my back (no pun intended...) since I do all the gear all the time anyway, plus I'd save money? I wish!!! That would be fantastic

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    yes to everything except pants
    if knee protectors would count, then yes

but this will never happen, so why discuss it?
    It could happen. I am directly involved with this kind of this with my insurance company, although my employer doesn't have a huge book of motorcycle business (and we only write cruisers). I'm just throwing out the idea to gauge interest.

My employer already offers discounts for winter tires for your car . . . which is kind of along the same lines.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    cause it could happen. if non smokers get discounts on home and health insurance, something like this could happen. if the insurance companies see it is profitable they will do it.
    This is correct. If it can be proven that gear reduces future claims payments, then a discount would be warranted. If I had the data to analyse, I think this would be easy to prove. A big problem is that no one collects this information when writing a motorcycle insurance policy, so I would have no historical data to work with. If such a discount were implemented, it would probably have to be small to start (perhaps 5-10&#37 and then adjusted every year according to historical experience.

I don't like the idea that they would deny a claim if you had an accident not wearing gear, there's gotta be a compromise to that... I don't ride squid as a rule, though i have once taken the bike around the block with no gear other than my helmet to warm it up for an oil change.
    This is the main hurdle to overcome. How could we implement a discount and know that people aren't just saying that they wear gear, but they really don't? It wouldn't be difficult for anyone to come up with receipts. Heck . . . you could even own a full set of gear but leave it in the closet all of the time, or use it only on track days.

In the case of our snow tire discount, I think proof of ownership is all that we require (although this isn't really accurate). Mind you, the discount is only about 5% for snow tires, so if someone lies, it doesn't have an enormous impact.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Absolutely, question is, are they planing to implement this?

Even though going squid doesn't make up for even 0.5% of my riding mileage, I'd pay an extra 20% just to make sure I'm covered in case I do get injured while I'm warming up the chain
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post
    Absolutely, question is, are they planing to implement this?
    There is nothing in the works . . . I'm just gauging interest. Perhaps sometime in the future I can work on trying to implement such a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    There is nothing in the works . . . I'm just gauging interest. Perhaps sometime in the future I can work on trying to implement such a discount.
    Lol alright, got my hopes up cause i can certainly use a discount on my insurance being only 19...

Define gear? I wear gear all the time but what would the insurance company define as gear? Full leathers? If they have pucks on them the rider is obviously an aggressive rider. Mesh ? What protection does that provide? Textile? What brand is the right brand? The brand that works with the insurance company and just happens to be three times more expensive than anybody else. Four years ago my insurance company told me that if I wanted fire and theft on my bike I would have to install an alarm. The only alarm they approved of was over $500, the cost of the fire and theft was $500, my bike was only worth $5000.

I already wear the gear all the time anyway, with one exception: the pants.

I have leg armor (icon field armor leg armor), but I don't wear it all the time. For a 20% discount off my insurance I could score some good pants...

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Define gear? I wear gear all the time but what would the insurance company define as gear? Full leathers? If they have pucks on them the rider is obviously an aggressive rider. Mesh ? What protection does that provide? Textile? What brand is the right brand? The brand that works with the insurance company and just happens to be three times more expensive than anybody else. Four years ago my insurance company told me that if I wanted fire and theft on my bike I would have to install an alarm. The only alarm they approved of was over $500, the cost of the fire and theft was $500, my bike was only worth $5000.
    That would be one of the complications and I'm not sure how it could be handled.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I already wear the gear all the time anyway, with one exception: the pants.

I have leg armor (icon field armor leg armor), but I don't wear it all the time. For a 20% discount off my insurance I could score some good pants...
    I don't think requiring everyone in a full racing suit would make sense. I think Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, and maybe Boots would maybe be enough to warrant a discount. I guess it all depends on how likely injuries are to certain areas of your body.

Gears?? what's that? my bike already has gears!! come to think about it, what is insurance? is that make my bike go faster while i am squiding?

I don't think requiring everyone in a full racing suit would make sense. I think Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, and maybe Boots would maybe be enough to warrant a discount. I guess it all depends on how likely injuries are to certain areas of your body.
    Ah ok. Your first post mentioned pants that's why I brought it up =)

maybe knee protectors

I'm just throwing ideas out. Ideally, I would have indicators on a bunch of bike policies to look at, but right now I have absolutely nothing . . . no such data is collected

In the case of our snow tire discount, I think proof of ownership is all that we require (although this isn't really accurate). Mind you, the discount is only about 5% for snow tires, so if someone lies, it doesn't have an enormous impact.
    I could live with something like that. though I doubt I still have my receipts. In regards to track days, most track days require specific gear that you don't see most people riding on the road with.

If you looked at my gear you would see that it's been worn.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    I could live with something like that. though I doubt I still have my receipts. In regards to track days, most track days require specific gear that you don't see most people riding on the road with.

If you looked at my gear you would see that it's been worn.
    I think showing up to your agents office in your gear might suffice as proof as well. You could always just borrow your friend's gear though, so I guess this isn't really proving anything.

I wear my full gear all the time anyways so, HELL YEAH!!!!

GETRDONE!!!
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

The insurer could maybe look at hooking up with a gear company that can offer the full equipment range and offer a 20% discount on the gear as well as insurance. If the insured already has gear or wants a different brand of gear, they still get 20% off insurance. New riders would be steered toward the associate gear company`s product line. Might work well for all.