riding unplated in parking lot - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: riding unplated in parking lot

Re: riding unplated in parking lot

arghh

When I turn it on there's headlight but when I press the starter button it slowly dies off until no more cranking sound. So I think it's a dead battery.

Maybe I forgot how to start a bike. In neautral, kill switch off, pull in clutch and hit starter. Gas lever on, choke on. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    arghh

When I turn it on there's headlight but when I press the starter button it slowly dies off until no more cranking sound. So I think it's a dead battery.

Maybe I forgot how to start a bike. In neautral, kill switch off, pull in clutch and hit starter. Gas lever on, choke on. Am I missing something?
    No gas?

bump it from a car.

1. leave the car OFF. don't run the engine.
    2. as always, negatives to the frame. postives to the terminals. space might be tight around the positive terminal on the bike. becareful not to touch (+) to the frame with the jumper cable.
    3. pull choke, you gotta find the sweet spot for the bike.
    4. neutral, clutch IN, kill switch on RUN, headlights OFF (doesn't really matter)

has the bike sitting before you bought it? could be a bad battery or the voltage is just low from no use.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

it's got lots of gas can hear it swooshing. Bike was fully charged when bought it and Ted Rosey just ran the bike yesterday to safety it. He left the key in and I forgot to take it out from yesterday evening.

I'll try bump starting it. Hope I don't fry lol. thanks.

it's got lots of gas can hear it swooshing. Bike was fully charged when bought it and Ted Rosey just ran the bike yesterday to safety it. He left the key in and I forgot to take it out from yesterday evening.

I'll try bump starting it. Hope I don't fry lol. thanks.
    You could also push start it but it might be difficult in the cold weather, especially if it hasn't been running a lot.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

ah excellent idea forgot about that one. thanks you the man!

ok I think my neighbour thinks I'm a lunatic going for a cheap thrill ride down my driveway. Down and back up the driveway lol. The battery is now dead won't even cough cough.

I just need to figure out how to get access to the battery so I can boost it. Anyone have any idea how to pop a seat on a Suzuki GN 125?

Not sure of the GN 125's but old carb'd bikes have to be at the right spot to start, sometimes including give it a little throttle.

If you crank it too much you could flood the bike and wet your plugs. Try not to do this as you'll need to change (clean) your sparkplugs then.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

just came back from a little practice ride in the parking lot. Viffer you da man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXl3RnBWbE0

Read the above link for a crash course on bump starting. Now I'm an expert at it!

Basically I put the bike in 2nd gear on top of a hill. Push it down the hill and when it gets near the bottom quickly release the clutch. Than engine starts up and I grab the clutch again and gear down.

I was practicing shifting gears trying to get it as smooth as possible. I got as high 3rd gear but still not totally confident. Felt it wasn't in proper power band. Oh well more practice tomorrow arm is sore lol.

just came back from a little practice ride in the parking lot. Viffer you da man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXl3RnBWbE0

Read the above link for a crash course on bump starting. Now I'm an expert at it!

Basically I put the bike in 2nd gear on top of a hill. Push it down the hill and when it gets near the bottom quickly release the clutch. Than engine starts up and I grab the clutch again and gear down.

I was practicing shifting gears trying to get it as smooth as possible. I got as high 3rd gear but still not totally confident. Felt it wasn't in proper power band. Oh well more practice tomorrow arm is sore lol.
    One time the battery died on my car, so I took my old Ninja 250 to work . . . luck would have it that the Ninja battery died too

Anyways, I looked like a tool trying to push start the bike on my own, without any hills. I sat on the bike and did a brisk "duck waddle" until I got it up to speed enough to bump start it, but it took quite a few tries. Of course, when I thought the bike was running fine and I went to put on all of my gear, it stalled and I had to do it all over again.

Glad to hear you got your bike going! Hopefully the battery charges up when you ride it around and you won't have this problem again.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

yep I made sure to ride it for at least half an hour. And I can restart it electrically now. Still not totally confident in taking off from a start. Keep thinking I'm going to stall the bike.

And braking. Wow how do you brake without stalling the bike? How do you stop from 3rd gear? Everything I learned from Humber last year I forgot after riding over 20k kilometers on a scooter. Scooter habit is hard to break.

And braking. Wow how do you brake without stalling the bike? How do you stop from 3rd gear? Everything I learned from Humber last year I forgot after riding over 20k kilometers on a scooter. Scooter habit is hard to break.
    Are you downshifting as you decrease speed? Once the bike is slow enough and before the engine starts to sputter, you should be pulling the clutch. Every bike is different, but my GSX-R1000 doesn't like going under 20kph in first gear; your bike might be able to go much slower in first. My Ninja 250 could ride all day in 1st without any throttle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizz View Post
    wait!!! OP u have over 1000 posts and still dont know how to ride? you've been on this forum for quite awhile right?
    He's obviously a scooterist. Check out the moped in his avatar!
    I think he has one of those huge cruiser style scooters.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    My Ninja 250 could ride all day in 1st without any throttle at all.
    Really? My 250 hates first.

OP, you'll get used to it eventually. I'm assuming your car isn't a manual transmission as well....as this typically helps make the transition somewhat easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    Really? My 250 hates first.

OP, you'll get used to it eventually. I'm assuming your car isn't a manual transmission as well....as this typically helps make the transition somewhat easier.
    Yup . . . I did the entire serpentine on my M1 exit in 1st with absolutely no throttle (not even to get moving) on a 1998 Ninja 250.

Haha been going through this thread. It's awesome. Ah the downs make the ups that much more appreciated! So nice to see your having success Psycho44. Sounds like Viffer got ya going. It really is exciting the first time out eh?

So much ahead...ride safe Bud

off to round 2. Man this bike is loud. How I know? It gets people staring at it everytime unlike my quiet scooter. Going to practice some emergency braking. Nothing like hard work to be rewarded with suicidal chicken wings at the plaza.

Anyone got pointers for me to focus practicing on? I hate the shifting gear part. Seems sometimes I'm killing the poor engine.

The major down was getting the license plate and realizing not having the nuts and bolts. So I tied the 2 ends with twine. But yeah I'm lucky the battery died. At least it forced me to learn how to bump start in case of a real emergency out in la la land lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bgfa View Post
    Haha been going through this thread. It's awesome. Ah the downs make the ups that much more appreciated! So nice to see your having success Psycho44. Sounds like Viffer got ya going. It really is exciting the first time out eh?

So much ahead...ride safe Bud

But yeah I'm lucky the battery died. At least it forced me to learn how to bump start in case of a real emergency out in la la land lol.

yep I made sure to ride it for at least half an hour. And I can restart it electrically now. Still not totally confident in taking off from a start. Keep thinking I'm going to stall the bike.

I just finished the course so I'm certainly no expert at this, but did you pull in the clutch, downshift to first, hold down the clutch, and squeeze the front and rear brakes? If so I don't see how you can possibly stall it.