Itching for a new more powerful machine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itching for a new more powerful machine

Itching for a new more powerful machine

Yep....I've been riding since 15 on and off when I go back home to India...this year I got me a Honda Shadow Aero 750cc....

Nice refined power and all look wise really a beauty with custom paint and handle bar and a Hard Krome super loud rumbling exhaust....I've pushed her upto 160 km...she can do more but I didn't have a clear way....on the 401.

Now I'm thinking maybe I need a SS...cause that the style of rider I am...even now the Honda's got low handle bars like a SS so I'm sitting like that....

Im craving for something which is a 1000cc or bigger, I'm thinking between...

Ducati---I like the Street fighter and Monster

Yamaha---R1 or maybe maybe a VMAX..I like the look of this bike but untill you put a rider on it..like the Vrod...

Suzuki...R1000 - (I know about the Busa...but I find them bulky looking)

Honda: I guess it would have to the be the CBR1000

I'm gonna try to preferably trade my Shadow in and maybe pay a little on top if needed.

Looking to spend total with my trade in Value around $6-7 G... (so lets say I sell my 2002 Shadow privately than total cash amount I'm looking to spend is $6-7 Gs which would include the money from the sale of my Shadow)

I really didn't know what kind of bike I wanted early this year...and I thought I was the cruiser type but my style of riding is more SS I like the leaning forward and zooming in and out of lanes (obviously safely) and I thought a 750cc would be monster of a bike but now I'm craving more power for the highway lane changes and overtaking....

Don't get me wrong the shadow does not flinch when the throttle is pulled..I think my style is a bit more sporty.

So what do your guys think...? of the above bike choices...??

Any input or reviews/opinions... on them?
    Last edited by Veej; 09-24-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Veej....
    your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan
    www.enVogueiMages.com

Re: Itching for a new more powerful machine

a 1000cc SS has 3 times the power of your bike. very different vehicles.

if you can afford the insurance on a liter bike do it, if not a 600 will still blow your mind.

I was going to suggest GSXR1000 but then I saw the sentance with VMAX in it. VMAX would be a great stepping stone from your current bike. Even with years of experience in India, it is not the same experience are required riding on Toronto streets / Highways. A SS 1k will be a big step from what you are use to. A VMAX will be fast but still have a relaxed seat plus I like the look.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

I'm a little concerned about the whole buying a liter bike for zipping in and out of lanes comment.... but i'm not an internet nanny... so I will leave it at that

A liter bike is a lot of bike and what you are on right now is an all together different machine. If you have been riding 125-175cc etc back home (not being racist we have the same backhome - and that is what most people have there). Even with 15 years experience you will probably want to go with a 600 first.

One big reason for the 600 is that once you start hitting trackdays (just let it happen.. its inevitable)you will learn a lot more on a 600 and actually be faster on a 600 than a liter bike.

If you seriously have the experience and restraint to go with a liter bike .. go for it!
    No better feeling for me than cracking open the throttle and feeling the thing physically want to rip me off of it. But I started with a couple 600's then a 750 then moved up to a liter.

Just be honest about how you will act with something that will almost triple the speed limit faster than what your current ride will reach 100km/h.
    Last edited by Fawaz; 09-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.

the shadow is about 30 hp, a 600 is about 100
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

All the bikes you mentioned are completely different machines then what you are on now. If your craving more power 600cc ss bikes will have a ton more power then what your used too, i don't see why you would need a 1 litre. But hey if you feel comfortable with that go for it. Best thing to do is wait till the spring and do some demo days, ride all the bikes you want then make a decision. I've had cruisers and SS bikes and ended up with a Sport Touring, best of both worlds IMO.

You're probably better off waiting to sell until the spring, and spend the winter researching what kind of bike you'd like to get. Really, the best thing might be for you to find a demo ride somewhere to get a feel for what a sportbike actually feels like.

My old Yamaha Radian would easily make it up to 190: if it had any kind of fairing at all and taller gearing I don't doubt it could do 220. (cough ... indicated) My point here along with the other posters is that going from a Shadow 750 to a GSXR1000 is a massive jump off a cliff.

2008 Shadow 750: Wet weight 536 lbs, 44 horsepower at the crank.
    2008 GSXR 1000: Wet weight 475 lbs, 182 horsepower at the crank.

Poster above saying 3x power was serious, and conservative.

(Full disclosure: I ride a Ninja ZX-11)
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Very good point. There is no real comparison between the Shadow and the litre bikes. You do have riding experience so that is in your favor but I would definitely go with one of the newer 600 super sports. This will allow you to feel how a more "snappy" bike handles and accelerates. No one will laugh at you for riding a 600 instead of a 1000. (well I wouldn't) haha Good luck on the choice.

And as many others have stated, be sure that you check to see what the insurance will be on a 1000 before buying it. That may be a shock as well.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    (Mods: Progrip Tank Protector, TechSpec Tank Pads, Renthal Grips)
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    (Mods: M4 Slipon, Blue Pazzo Shorties, Carbon Fiber Chain Guard, Renthal Kevlar Grips, Puig Double Bubble, Stomp Grips, Driven Bar Ends, Vortex Rearsets)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

new R1

end of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NM Micky B View Post
    new R1

end of thread.
    No recommendations for a Buell??

Get a 2007 Honda CBR600RR. It's the latest model and would just about fit into the budget.

Do what I did. Ducati monster (63hp) to busa (lots of hp).
    Chris
    05 Red Ducati Monster 620 (sold)
    09 Balloon White Suzuki Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    No recommendations for a Buell??
    no....the original poster, was looking for more power than a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    no....the original poster, was looking for more power than a shadow
    Oh my, this will get someone going ....

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Oh my, this will get someone going ....

How about a GSXR 750?

The monster you'd have to get the S4R or at least an S2R 1K, or new Monster 1100 to get enough power and those will not be in your price range.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

You could also try a M90.. or an M109... the M109 pretty much of an extreme jump for me.. I had a shadow 750.. if the M90 was around, I would have most likely gone for that one.. needless to say.. I don't regret the M109 OOODLES of power, reaaaaaaaaaaaly smooooth... if you want to ride fast.. you can, if you want to cruise.. you can cruise...
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

Quote Originally Posted by slm View Post
    You could also try a M90.. or an M109... the M109 pretty much of an extreme jump for me.. I had a shadow 750.. if the M90 was around, I would have most likely gone for that one.. needless to say.. I don't regret the M109 OOODLES of power, reaaaaaaaaaaaly smooooth... if you want to ride fast.. you can, if you want to cruise.. you can cruise...
    True...I should look into this one also the M109....looks really cool...How is the handling is it nimble in city driving..?
    Veej....
    your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan
    www.enVogueiMages.com

Shoot if you are only going about 160km/h you can get a gsx 500. A 1000cc ss is ridiculously fast. A 600ss will do 260km/h, why do you think you need a 1000cc ss?
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg