Electrochromatic Visors (a.k.a Self-Tinting Visors)

Thread: Electrochromatic Visors (a.k.a Self-Tinting Visors)

Electrochromatic Visors (a.k.a Self-Tinting Visors)

Does anyone know if they are available for other helmets besides akuma?
    The akuma gemini is the only unit i could find but i'd love one for my AGV and arai. No need to fumble with two visors anymore
    Current:
    2006 GSX-R 600
    SOAR #46. Please don't hurt the FNG lol

Re: Electrochromatic Visors (a.k.a Self-Tinting Visors)

Wow, last I heard this was only a prototype, I didn't know you can actually buy these things.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ameleon-visor/
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

I would pay up to $100 for such a visor .

08 VRSCDXA
    99 VFR800
    90 GSXR1100
    88 600 Katana
    84 VF500F
    84 Yamaha XS 400
    84 Suzuki GS400

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy **** ....what a ride!'

GMAX has them available for some of their helmets. They cost about as much as the helmet though!
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

That's pretty cool. I used to have Fogcity hyper optiks insert in my arai helmet. You can get more info here: http://www.modernworld.com/2009/ They have universal inserts that can be attached to any helmet.

I don't know if they are sold locally here, I bought mine in the states.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post
    I would pay up to $100 for such a visor .
    That's it? Just a regular tinted visor for my RSR2 is ~$110 locally (quoted from 3 different places) or $80+ on eBay.

Stupid expensive 3mm thick visor.

I have one on my Scorpion helmet, is cool but only shades to a light smoke tint. I had heard that because it takes a little time to change to clear manufacturers shy away from making anything too dark. They're concerned about riding into dark tunnels etc. I use my dark visor for daytime riding and put the auto shade one on when I know I'll be riding into the night.

If your prone to getting headaches from sensitive eyes dont get one. Friend of mine has glasses like that, The problem he said is that the light is always changing therefore your eyes never rest. Makes sense since he told me that because I was all over looking for a visor like that.

I want one that is like on switch something lik smart glass but tints to either a light smoke or dark, even better if it had an option to go from clear-shades of tint-mirrored chrome.

Neat! I have always wanted something like this. Hopefully a version comes out for the Shoei soon
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I need this for my Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    I had heard that because it takes a little time to change to clear manufacturers shy away from making anything too dark. They're concerned about riding into dark tunnels etc.
    What a silly cover your *** move, huh? Tinted visors don't change at all and yet those are still sold. They have zero chance of going back to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    What a silly cover your *** move, huh? Tinted visors don't change at all and yet those are still sold. They have zero chance of going back to clear.
    But I think the difference is that the user knows this when they put their helmet on, where as some idiot might think that the electrochromatic visor would instantly change . . . and then file their lawsuit. Americans have filed lawsuits over much less than this.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

id buy one, hell id even buy a film for my clear visor. the tinted visor for my shark is worth double what my hjc is and well, that to me is just too much, ill just wear sunglasses until i find the film great idea though

Royal Distributing used to have the changing film that fastened to the inside of the visor. I tried it, but it only lasted one year, then would not change colour/ shade. A little too much for $35 every year.