Im back! soon... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im back! soon...

Re: Im back! soon...

Quote Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
    I have finally gone over the last crash, and am planning to get on two wheels for the next season! Couldn't be happier! Ive got couple of questions, the bike I'm looking at is a 2010 CBR 600RR ABS. Any one has experiance with that bike? How is the abs system working? And will an imported bike from US be warranty covered here in Canada? Thanks again...
    Just as a note on the ABS....

Last weekend Parkway Honda did a show and took a bike (I think the CBF600, newly released) with ABS across grass. Looked like they accelerated to about 40, then got on the brakes hard. The ABS performed like a champ. On any other bike, grabbing the brakes like that on grass would be sheer stupidity.

Obviously, there's the counter argument that a.) true limit braking can stop quicker, and b.) real men don't need ABS . But I was pretty impressed by the show. Adds some weight, of course.
    I wave at kids as I pass them in a hope that there's a gray-pants-wearing, beige-volvo-driving accountant somewhere in the future that dies everytime I do.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Who says that it is apparently a known problem? You can find such claims on any forum for any bike ....

the service guy at the dealership where he took it.

and really I can't find any or heard of any complaints or problems about my 09 zx 6r.

thanks for comin out tho.
    FREE YOURSELF FROM SOCIETY'S CONVENTIONAL THINKING, DON'T BE A SHEEP

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Obviously, there's the counter argument that a.) true limit braking can stop quicker, and b.) real men don't need ABS . But I was pretty impressed by the show. Adds some weight, of course.
    I always laugh at those two arguments.

ABS IS sheer braking, and that machine + sensor will be able to find that point WAY faster then any human can. It's been proven time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    I always laugh at those two arguments.

ABS IS sheer braking, and that machine + sensor will be able to find that point WAY faster then any human can. It's been proven time and time again.
    It's actually fact that a good braker can out-break ABS, because ABS is an on/off system, whereas threshold braking is on all the time, at the maximum braking strength.

But yea, that always assumes we're all the world's greatest brakers. Maybe in a car it's easy to find the threshold, because locking wheels doesn't mean eating pavement. I admit that I'm a bit slow on my fronts (I ease onto them at a decent speed, but I'm by no means a pro) because I know that if I go too fast, that means face meets ground.
    I wave at kids as I pass them in a hope that there's a gray-pants-wearing, beige-volvo-driving accountant somewhere in the future that dies everytime I do.

It's actually fact that a good braker can out-break ABS, because ABS is an on/off system, whereas threshold braking is on all the time, at the maximum braking strength.
    actually that's incorrect.

abs works EXACTLY as conventional breaking UNTIL tires are locked. it's not an on/off system all the time.

the quickest way to stop when dry is to be at the point RIGHT before tires lock up, hence under normal conditions, ABS and non-ABS cars should stop within the same distance with competent drivers.

in rain, gravel, etc. there is no comparison - abs is hands down winner

the only argument that can be made for shorter stops without ABS is during breaking in snow or gravel, where locking the wheels is actually beneficial as it allows for debry to build up in front of the tire, thus assisting in the stopping process

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    actually that's incorrect.

abs works EXACTLY as conventional breaking UNTIL tires are locked. it's not an on/off system all the time.

the quickest way to stop when dry is to be at the point RIGHT before tires lock up, hence under normal conditions, ABS and non-ABS cars should stop within the same distance with competent drivers.

in rain, gravel, etc. there is no comparison - abs is hands down winner

the only argument that can be made for shorter stops without ABS is during breaking in snow or gravel, where locking the wheels is actually beneficial as it allows for debry to build up in front of the tire, thus assisting in the stopping process
    Ah, semantics:

If you brake, at any time, and don't engage the ABS (Dry or Wet) but threshold brake, it doesn't count as "ABS Braking". Most people who have ABS are taught to engage the brake system fully, and let ABS sort it out. They are taught specifically NOT to learn to threshold brake, since they'll attempt to do so when on wet/slush/snow/gravel/squirrel/dog/that small annoying child down the street covered roads, and then they'll never engage the ABS to help them.

Yes, if you don't engage your ABS system, you can stop nearly as quickly as a non ABS engaged bike (for all intents and purposes, the same distance, but since apparently Friday is nit-pick-the-hell-out-of-peoples-posts-day, the ABS bike is heavier, more inertia, etc).

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Much like the Honda linked-brake system has its advantages and disadvantages.

Although my bike is not ABS-equipped, I was quite impressed with the CBF600s stopping on grass. That remains my comment.

Let the internet squabbles continue.

Ah, semantics:
    If you brake, at any time, and don't engage the ABS (Dry or Wet) but threshold brake, it doesn't count as "ABS Braking". Most people who have ABS are taught to engage the brake system fully, and let ABS sort it out. They are taught specifically NOT to learn to threshold brake, since they'll attempt to do so when on wet/slush/snow/gravel/squirrel/dog/that small annoying child down the street covered roads, and then they'll never engage the ABS to help them.
    ok this is an oxymoron

engaging ABS in snow or gravel will NOT help you stop faster so people are better off trying to find the "threshold" rather than slam on the breaks right away under these conditions

you said this in your first post - it's "on/off" in this circumstance which will prolong stopping

it would be useful under circumstance when you have to stop and steer tho

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119 View Post
    the service guy at the dealership where he took it.

and really I can't find any or heard of any complaints or problems about my 09 zx 6r.

thanks for comin out tho.
    Thanks for the evidence you provided, really helpful to the OP ... LOL

I am surprised you ever bought a bike, because there's not a bike without an issue ...

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Thanks for the evidence you provided, really helpful to the OP ... LOL

I am surprised you ever bought a bike, because there's not a bike without an issue ...
    Yeah were talking Honda here! Unless you get a complete dud, your bike will be fine!

so what if the bike burns oil? you'll just never have to do a oil change. just top it up every once in a while.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    so what if the bike burns oil? you'll just never have to do a oil change. just top it up every once in a while.
    LOL ... good one.