1996 Gsxr wont Start Help !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Gsxr wont Start Help !

1996 Gsxr wont Start Help !

hey guys, just bought my buddys 1996 Gixxer, 750cc, the bike ran great before, sat thru this whole summer hasnt been touched, i put a new battery today, flushed and cleaned the tank, took the carbs off and cleaned all the jets and everything put fresh gas, i put everythin back together and go for a start, cranks over but wont fire up, i have spark, if i spray fuel into the carbs directly it wil fire up , what can cause this any help is appriciated guys

Re: 1996 Gsxr wont Start Help !

Well, you;ve done a fair bit of the diagnosing so far.

We know its not Air, or Spark... which means in order to have combustion, thou shalt have fuel.

You have cleaned the tank and carbs, so that eliminates (if done properly) any gunk.

I suspect fuel is not getting to the carbs.

Make sure the fuel petcock is turned ON, that there is sufficient fuel in the tank to immerse the petcock, and then give it a moment to flow the fuel. Make sure the fuel is getting to the carburetors by checking the drain screw on one or 2 of the bowls to make sure fuel is getting to the carb.

If the above all checks out, there likely is a vacuum or fuel line (there is a solenoid and afew other bits ) that might be out of sorts.

If the above does not check out, do look at the fuel filter at or near the carbs.

If no fuel is making it down the lines, check the petcock.

there is no fuel petcock. there is no fuel filter.

is the fuel pump flowing? the connector isn't the best for this either.

take off the inlet into the carbs, start and see if you have flow.

if you do, then your carbs are messed up.....

take off the carbs.....and check if the bowles have gas in them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post

when i turn the key to ON position i hear the pump priming,im gonna go see check more stuff of right now ill be post what i found out, would any one also have the diagram for where all the vacum line connect to ?

Really? I guess the parts fiche must be buggered...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Really? I guess the parts fiche must be buggered...
    PAGING DJLTORONTO!!!!

Both my srads dont' have them, but the 96 750 was a limited special edition bike, im 99% they don't have petcocks.

They do have TINY conical fuel filters in the fuel lines though....

Quote Originally Posted by jspecef9 View Post
    when i turn the key to ON position i hear the pump priming,im gonna go see check more stuff of right now ill be post what i found out, would any one also have the diagram for where all the vacum line connect to ?
    after i clean my carbs/take them apart...i have to prime the fuel pump a few times.

turn key on/off cycle a few times.

also, how is your choke? freshely rebuilt carbs i find need a lot of choke at first.

try this..

should work 10 times..

http://rapidshare.com/files/28451093...l_ENG.pdf.html

so i was messing around today with the carbs,pulled them off again, and what i noticed was that the fuel isnt getting into the carbs at all , so i took it apart tried pooring carb cleaner into the fuel inlet rail, and blowing it out wit a compresor, and still nothing, i put a little bit of fuel into the fuel rail niple and it just stays in the niple, doesnt flow thru into the float bowl, what should i do ?

so i was messing around today with the carbs,pulled them off again, and what i noticed was that the fuel isnt getting into the carbs at all , so i took it apart tried pooring carb cleaner into the fuel inlet rail, and blowing it out wit a compresor, and still nothing, i put a little bit of fuel into the fuel rail niple and it just stays in the niple, doesnt flow thru into the float bowl, what should i do ?
    If you are sure you are putting fuel into the fuel rail and it doesn't get into the carb floats....

take off the float bowls and inspect the needles to figure out why they are not letting fuel in...

OR... are you sure the float bowls are not already full? and the needels are doing their job of preventing additional fuel from entering the bowl.

Without seeing it... not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    If you are sure you are putting fuel into the fuel rail and it doesn't get into the carb floats....

take off the float bowls and inspect the needles to figure out why they are not letting fuel in...

OR... are you sure the float bowls are not already full? and the needels are doing their job of preventing additional fuel from entering the bowl.

Without seeing it... not sure.
    thats why im not sure about, what do u think of leaving the carbs in a bucket of gas over night so everything that might be cloged might open up ?

NOOOOOooo don't do that. #1 it won't work, #2 you risk dissolving stuff that isn't meant to be submerged in gasoline, #3 you are asking for a fire.

If the engine will fire up on ether (starting fluid) then I just about guarantee that the issue is some combination of gasoline that has sat around for too long and has lost the most volatile fractions (which the engine relies on for cold starting), or when you put the carbs back together, something got buggered up with the settings of the idle mixture screws and idle speed adjuster and carb synchronization screws or the choke (enriching valve) mechanism or the float levels.

The floats have a drain screw on the bottom. Crack one of those open and see if fuel drains out. If it does, then the float bowls are full, and your carbs are (correctly) not accepting any more fuel because the float bowls are already full.

Make sure the idle mixture screws are set to factory specifications. Make sure the choke plungers on each carb are being correctly pulled open when you actuate the choke.

Sometimes if you can get an engine going on starting fluid, and keep squirting it in to keep the engine firing, it will eventually take over on whatever gasoline is being drawn in. If you can get it running like that, then you can check idle speed screw setting and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    NOOOOOooo don't do that. #1 it won't work, #2 you risk dissolving stuff that isn't meant to be submerged in gasoline, #3 you are asking for a fire.

If the engine will fire up on ether (starting fluid) then I just about guarantee that the issue is some combination of gasoline that has sat around for too long and has lost the most volatile fractions (which the engine relies on for cold starting), or when you put the carbs back together, something got buggered up with the settings of the idle mixture screws and idle speed adjuster and carb synchronization screws or the choke (enriching valve) mechanism or the float levels.

The floats have a drain screw on the bottom. Crack one of those open and see if fuel drains out. If it does, then the float bowls are full, and your carbs are (correctly) not accepting any more fuel because the float bowls are already full.

Make sure the idle mixture screws are set to factory specifications. Make sure the choke plungers on each carb are being correctly pulled open when you actuate the choke.

Sometimes if you can get an engine going on starting fluid, and keep squirting it in to keep the engine firing, it will eventually take over on whatever gasoline is being drawn in. If you can get it running like that, then you can check idle speed screw setting and so on.
    i will hook everythin up tomoro morning check it , see whats goin on

so i put everthing on , now i have fuel goin to my carbs it was some wiring issue, bike starts up but runs like crap , brand new plugs, i noticed blue flames out the exhaust and seems like it chokes out sometimes when i give it gas , wat can cause this ?

its running way toooo rich.

did you check how the jets were adjusted? how many turns do you have on them?

its running way toooo rich.

did you check how the jets were adjusted? how many turns do you have on them?
    not sure, ill be honest im new to all this carb stuff, i just removed all the jets and cleaned everything , put it back together, i got new plugs yesterday but i think they might be killed from all the try's to start it, i got new plugs again gonna throw them in and see what happens

not sure, ill be honest im new to all this carb stuff, i just removed all the jets and cleaned everything , put it back together, i got new plugs yesterday but i think they might be killed from all the try's to start it, i got new plugs again gonna throw them in and see what happens
    refer to the manual, and the number of turns.

i tried starting it today , and fired up i reved it died, wouldnt start, then cranked it for about 30second full throttle bam fired up ran like **** full throtle at 1100rpm, then it catches revs fine not missing then it dies again ? wat will cause this ?

what do the plugs look like?

or pm djltoronto...see if he'll rebuild your carbs for you and set it up

Your carbs are screwed up. Probably something is out of adjustment or not assembled correctly. Float levels? Idle mixture screws?