Which parking space should I choose - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which parking space should I choose

Re: Which parking space should I choose

Quote Originally Posted by ZimZima View Post
    Whatever spot you choose, make sure you get a bike cover... out of sight out of mind (hopefully)
    True, plus the dust in those underground garages is horrible.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    ^ +1 to that.. you'd have to move your car every time for option B.

Also, if you have to go with option B, you can make your own concrete block to chain your bike to (or for anyone else reading this without something to lock their bike to)

- buy a couple of buckets form the dollar store
    - buy a bag of "Add water" concrete mix
    - buy one or two curved sections of steel or large eye bolts, or anything that you can use to lock the bike to (get creative)

Mix and pour concrete into the buckets (you can line the buckets with wax paper, some some other impenetrable liner to get the blocks out afterwards... or just break the buckets). Then if you're using only one block, curve the section of steel to go in and out of the block. If you're using two blocks, you can run two steel beams from each block to the other

Then if you place it neatly in your parking space, they shouldn't hassle you, and it'll make a good theft deterrent... Esp. if the steel is nice 'n thick... like 1.5" HSS square tube stock.

now buy one of those hard-to-cut bike locks, and u're set!

Umm, just a question. I am interested in this idea, however, if they can lift a 300-500 pound bike, whats to stop them from lifting a block of cement that is much lighter? I guess its just a bit of xtra security but probably more of a deterant if anything. Thx for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis22 View Post
    Umm, just a question. I am interested in this idea, however, if they can lift a 300-500 pound bike, whats to stop them from lifting a block of cement that is much lighter? I guess its just a bit of xtra security but probably more of a deterant if anything. Thx for the idea.
    takes two people to lift a bike, if its chained to a seperate object, they'll need a third person to lift that as well, probably better than nothing... if you want to get super creative have nails sticking out of it

if you're allowed, go for option A!

Just keep in mind that if the thief really want your bike, no matter what security stuff you add on to your bike, they'll figure out a way to take the bike.

Also, Spot A looks closest to a doorway ! This is a huge bonus and can be a major deterant.
    Why is being close to the door way a bonus?

My spot isn't right the next to the door or next to the ramp (in between the two). But it's the first bike you'll see when coming down the ramp and when coming out the door. I always thought that worked against me rather than helped me. My spot is actually closer to the door than cager's option A.

Also, if you have to go with option B, you can make your own concrete block to chain your bike to (or for anyone else reading this without something to lock their bike to)
    Many condos will not let you store anything in your spot other than your car, bikes and motorcycles. This includes concrete blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe View Post
    Why is being close to the door way a bonus?

My spot isn't right the next to the door or next to the ramp (in between the two). But it's the first bike you'll see when coming down the ramp and when coming out the door. I always thought that worked against me rather than helped me. My spot is actually closer to the door than cager's option A.

Many condos will not let you store anything in your spot other than your car, bikes and motorcycles. This includes concrete blocks.
    Not sure if its a big factor or not, but the closer to a doorway means that the chances of someone walking in on the act might happen more quickly or suddenly to the thief. Hence, they may leave your bike alone and go for a bike far from a doorway, far from the chances of anyone walking in on them. I am only saying this because an 03 Gixxer was stolen in my underground, who parks around the corner from me. His spot was a bit isolated and away from any doors. U have to use the door beside where i park, then go around the corner to get to his bike. His bike was taken and mine remained untouched. I just feel like parking beside the door may of helped more than i know. But i really dont know. And i have a much newer bike. All im saying is that there are many factors that may persuade a thief into taking another bike versus yours, and parking near a doorway could be the difference.

Use the spot with the pole, and chain your baby up with a case hardened chain and lock. It will deter any thief who wasn't prepaired to break your lock or chain. Also Cover your bike up with a cover every single time you park it in the garage (out of site, out of mind).

Bottom line, if someone wants the bike, they will find a way to take it. Go for whatever spot has the most camera coverage....even if that's in a more open area. The thief would prefer you to store your bike in a hard to see area, that way they can hide while they work.

Also, see if you can put some anchors right into the floor of your parking spot. I am sure the condo corp. wont let you, but maybe you can do it one night when there isn't anyone around.

Nothing can really stop them, but if your bike is chained to something and parked a few spots from a bike chained to nothing, guess which one's easier to steal?

Sucks that they won't allow you to keep it there. I'm sure an explanation, and perhaps even a speech at the following condo meeting can get something done.

You know, all they'd have to offer is some nice bike-rack type bars sticking out of the huge concrete pillars in every parking spot, and this bike theft thing would be drastically decreased, i bet.

Nothing can really stop them, but if your bike is chained to something and parked a few spots from a bike chained to nothing, guess which one's easier to steal?

Sucks that they won't allow you to keep it there. I'm sure an explanation, and perhaps even a speech at the following condo meeting can get something done.

You know, all they'd have to offer is some nice bike-rack type bars sticking out of the huge concrete pillars in every parking spot, and this bike theft thing would be drastically decreased, i bet.
    Logicistcally, it wouldn't work for every spot. But if it was a little hook that came from the ground which can be used as an anchor, then definitely people would love this. Not just motorcyclist, but also bicyclist.

However, doing this is an extra expense to the condo builder, and unless people start clamouring for this, I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimZima View Post
    Whatever spot you choose, make sure you get a bike cover... out of sight out of mind (hopefully)
    With a big Hyosung label on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete5000 View Post
    I don't know - but your visuals are spectacular!
    That's what 5 years of Auto-Cad 3D classes at Humber College gives you

BTW, it looks as if your bike is a sure goner, are you seriously planning on leaving it in that basement at her own mercy at night? Don't do it.

if u are allowed to use the space on the side then get thatone and chain it to the pole plus it'll be easier to get your bike out you can just unlock and ride away as opposed to moving your car get bike, move car back...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."