When Technology Isn't Your Friend... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Technology Isn't Your Friend...

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: When Technology Isn't Your Friend...you're a Luddite

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    But there is no bloody reason for a bike to have ABS or power brakes. Period.
    I beg to differ with you.
    There are many good reasons to have ABS on a bike.
    Also aren't most brakes power in that they use hydraulic power?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    No, power brakes use an engine actuated hydraulic pump or electric motor to enhance the pressure you apply on the lever or pedal. And by all means, list at least a few of the reasons why ABS is a necessary feature on bikes. I still can't come up with a good one beyond making n00bs feel safer.

As to the suggestion the Lexus driver should have shifted into neutral, I believe that is impossible on those cars. Now this is second hand information from a Prius owner on RFD, but the gear shifter is electric on new Lexus and Toyotas. If the ECU is going insane, it might actually refuse to shift into neutral.

Re: When Technology Isn't Your Friend...

Holy crap, technology has indeed run amok.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    And by all means, list at least a few of the reasons why ABS is a necessary feature on bikes. I still can't come up with a good one beyond making n00bs feel safer.
    Short answer: Front wheel lockup and rear wheel lockup are two.
    How often do you practice emergency braking on different road types? Noobs, Newbs, veterans and journeymen all feel safer, but more importantly they are safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Servo assist or abs on a lightweight ss makes no sense to me.But linked abs on a 900lb tourer is a must have.Touring is an entirely different style of riding.I'll never buy another tourer without it.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Servo assist or abs on a lightweight ss makes no sense to me.But linked abs on a 900lb tourer is a must have.Touring is an entirely different style of riding.I'll never buy another tourer without it.
    I have to disagree again.

ABS on some of the 600cc supersports might save some of these guys from themselves - Gixxer FTW.

I don't see the appeal of linked brakes. I know how to use my hand to brake. I'd rather be able to modulate both brakes independently at low speed.

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Re: When Technology Isn't Your Friend...

What if, what if, what if...

geez guys... what if you got hit by lightning while riding?

I actually own a BMW K1200RS...

It has the best braking system of any motorcycle I have owned and/or ridden in my 23 years of riding. Period.

The servo motors ultmately run off the battery. You would have to have a fairly serious "melt-down" to affect the operation of the servo motors.

Having said that, the brakes still work with the ignition turned off... you just have to use more muscle. I compare the brakes to a mid 80's Honda when the ignition is turned off. Certainly good enough while walking the bike into a parking spot or my garage!

The build quality on this machine is the best I have seen or experienced. That's why I purchased it. I wouldn't go back to regular brakes after having been spoiled with power assist, partially-integrated ABS brakes.

BMW finally dropped power assisted brakes because of the small number of reported cases of failure and alot of over-blown bad PR. They probably also saved a mint in going back to standard braking systems. No sweat off their backs or their bottom line.

Just my opinion, but its based on actual experience.

Cheers.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance