SV650 to FZ6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SV650 to FZ6

Question SV650 to FZ6

I'm nowhere near ready to upgrade, barely moved from a 250 up to a 650 but I did sit on a few FZ6s at a dealership and seen them on some group rides, really appeals to me. I was thinking maybe I'll get one down the line. Right now I'm quite satisfied with my SV, love that bike.

My question is, there must be people who've ridden both, they are popular bikes, especially the SV, so what was it that you didn't like and what was an improvement going from one to the other?

I have the S version of SV so from my understanding the handlebars are a touch lower, the pegs a bit higher and sprockets set up for a bit more high end compared to the base/naked model.
    Isn't the FZ6 more of an upright bike, like the naked SV? I know it's got way more power but how is its low and mid range?

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Re: SV650 to FZ6

I have not personally ridden on a fz6, but I did run into another rider that has one.

Basically with the r6 engine you have to hit high revs to get into the powerband, like 10k. He also didn't like the tank design - something about being too narrow for tankpads and stuff (he was a tourer)

Imo, i think sticking with the sv is a good choice if you like the low and mids.

Sure you have to hit the high rpm's for power in a 600 I4 - that is, if you accelerate every single time you ride to license-losing speeds. Maybe you do.

I found my FZ6 to be fairly tractable all around, and you didn't need to downshift as often as you might think. And yes, it's upright for sure.

both are budget mid-entry level bikes to me... both need suspension work to handle better ... the sv needs gixxer forks, just as the fz6 needs the r6 fork upgrade (did it to mine and makes a huge dif) ... i prefer the smooth ride of an I4 over a vtwin but that's personal pref. and yes you do have to rev it to make it go, but the sound of a pipe on an I4 screaming to 14k is intoxicating

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Here's a comparison review. A bit dated, but none of the bikes have changed much over the past few years:
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...son/index.html

I wouldn't consider the FZ6 and upgrade over the SV. They're pretty much equals. Really, the only thing you'll be gaining by switching from the SVS to the FZ6 will be more comfortable ergos.

As far as preferences go, just as Chiller enjoys the screaming I4, I prefer the easy, torquey pull of a v-twin, especially in traffic. And v-twins don't sound half bad with a pipe either.

Thanks for the replies! The reason I said "upgrade" was largely because of the higher price point and a much more powerful engine. It is true that they're both designed for similar market though.

I've read that article, and I do agree that SV650 is a great bike, I found it ugly at first, too. Still find the 2nd gen ugly when naked.
    Personally I only have one problem with it - the seat and the riding position is not so great for long cruises even though I find it very comfortable for short rides.
    Fuel economy is half decent but the tank is small for a sport touring at 16l.

I did close to 12,000 km this year, mostly city and around but I do want to go on some major, long trips in the next few years, that's the only reason I was even thinking about getting rid of the SV. If I could only afford 2 bikes, I'd have a SS and a pure tourer, unfortunately I have to blend the 2 somehow due to limited budget.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Ugly is the new beautiful.
    _/\_/\ . ÷ z z z Z ZZ
    ,,,-_-,,,

Bring everything you need and nothing you don't.

Price point difference? The SV costs more than the FZ6R this year.. but regardless, this is definitely a lateral move.

I would recommend buying the OEM Gel seat.. has a cool SV logo on it and makes it a whole new bike to ride. Big time.
    Try the heli-bars also... might save you a ton of cash until you're actually ready to "upgrade"
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    I have not personally ridden on a fz6, but I did run into another rider that has one.

Basically with the r6 engine you have to hit high revs to get into the powerband, like 10k. He also didn't like the tank design - something about being too narrow for tankpads and stuff (he was a tourer)

Imo, i think sticking with the sv is a good choice if you like the low and mids.
    BUNK - Like Pete5000 said you do not need to rev it 10k every time. It pulls great from 3k all the way up. You can have lots of fun on the FZ w/o exceeding 6-7k.

As for the tank - I've been slamming a magnetic tank bag on it all summer no probs.

And 60MPG to boot!
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Price point difference? The SV costs more than the FZ6R this year.. but regardless, this is definitely a lateral move.

I would recommend buying the OEM Gel seat.. has a cool SV logo on it and makes it a whole new bike to ride. Big time.
    Try the heli-bars also... might save you a ton of cash until you're actually ready to "upgrade"

I never mentioned FZ6R bro. We're talking about the FZ6 here, a totally different bike even though the name is confusingly similar. SVs are usually around 8G while FZ6 around 10G.

I'll look into the OE gel seat. Thanks!

I've just read that the gel seat is 1" higher than the stock so that would also give knees a break.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 09-23-2009 at 01:08 PM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

If you are comfortable on the SV650 skip the FZ6 and go for an FZ1

You'll get all the torque you need in the mid-range plus lots of go at the top.
    Ride Safe.....

http://www.motowhere.com/

2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Faster Silver) -SOLD

Looking for a Ducati Monster, BMW R1200R or 2008 Gen 2 FZ1

PM if you have one for sale.

The FZ6R is NOT even close to the same bike the FZ6 was. I had an argument with some idiot that told his friend to buy one over an FZ6 because it was "better"... I guess a steel frame is better than the aluminum on the FZ6, he said the FZ6R had more power (has like 20 less hp) the bike itself doesn't feel that great to me, and not as uniquely styled. Suspension on the FZ6 as soft as it is is better than the FZ6R. Not the same bike at all.

Now, I have ridden both bikes as I dated a girl with a 2nd gen SV650. The FZ6 pulled on it pretty good, but the SV felt like it was better in the corners, but not by much if at all.
    Either way, you can't go wrong, but I wouldn't trade my FZ6 for an SV as the FZ6 isn't as common and I love the undertail exhaust!

Note that the Fz6 has been discontinued. 2009 was the last year it was being sold (in Canada at least). You may be able to get a "left-over 2009" for some months yet, but the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to find a new one.

If, on the other hand, you want a used one, there should be plenty available for a few years.

SeaMe

I would definitely get both bikes over the fz6r. I just a fz1 with lower fairings... that looks pretty sweet. If the fz6 has something like that...or some way to bolt on r6 fairings I'd definitely get that!

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    I would definitely get both bikes over the fz6r. I just a fz1 with lower fairings... that looks pretty sweet. If the fz6 has something like that...or some way to bolt on r6 fairings I'd definitely get that!
    Yamaha makes a full fairing kit for the FZ6, as well as some aftermarket companies.

That Yamaha fairing kit is quite neat but I think it's $800. Or was that the price for the FZ1 kit?
    Any more differences between SV650 and FZ6? (Not FZ6R)

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    That Yamaha fairing kit is quite neat but I think it's $800. Or was that the price for the FZ1 kit?
    lol sorry man, I thought you were talking about buying NEW!
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

lol sorry man, I thought you were talking about buying NEW!
    Hey, no worries bro. I would never purchase a FZ6R, it's like a fake-and-bake girl with a bird's nest hairstyle and bug-eye sun-glasses. No substance.

I appreciate the gel-seat suggestion, didn't know Suzuki made them for SVs. Will give 'em a call tomorrow. Need a shifter pedal anyway.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

here's a pic of the fairing kit, doesn't look too bad, took it from yamaha europe site ... it also has the rear rack installed as well from yamaha

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Hey, no worries bro. I would never purchase a FZ6R, it's like a fake-and-bake girl with a bird's nest hairstyle and bug-eye sun-glasses. No substance.

I appreciate the gel-seat suggestion, didn't know Suzuki made them for SVs. Will give 'em a call tomorrow. Need a shifter pedal anyway.
    hahaha... same here. SV Shifter Group buy?

I have the Heli-Bars on my bike right now but am gonna put the stock ones back on. I've never actually ridden with the stock clip-ons before, but when I bought the bike the guy gave them to me. Anyway if I like them stock I might let them go, or if I am passing through Toronto before the end of the season you could sit on it to check them out. They cost $280 US but they are a pretty key upgrade, check out their site. http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB2603
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold