Any other die hard 2 strokers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other die hard 2 strokers.

Any other die hard 2 strokers.

i am picking up a MX bike this weekend and i have rode both 2 and 4 stroke but i just cant seem to want a 4 stroke MX bike. they both have their advantages and both are sweet to ride but 2 strokes have always fascinated me more. my budget was 2 grand so a 450 wasnt in the picture for some supermoto

anyone else tend to drift more towards the 2 smokers? or is it just me.

i have a choice between either a KX250 or a CR250 both 00', which one would you pick? kinda leaning toward the honda...

Re: Any other die hard 2 strokers.

cant lie... im a die hard... personally i would go with the honda... but im biased, all of my personal bikes are either blue or red

I am a die hard 2-stroker as well, I think the CR would be a good choice too as these engines are rugged and reliable... just my 2 cents...

Love the 2-stroke's, but in sleds not bikes.

I'm addicted to that 80 two smoker you sold me! you don't even wanna know how much i've spent in gas on that thing lol.

Im a die hard 2-somker too, got a 98 Cr250 love it! Have alway had and stuck up for 2-strokes, but everyone keeps saying its only cause I havent tried a 4 yet.

My Cr is up for sale btw.
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ157512397
    Last edited by Fog Ducker; 09-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Im a 2 stroke guy all the way but I have to admit I have faster lap times on a 4 stroke for the simple fact I don't get arm pump on a 4 stroke

Plus 2 strokes sound awsome
    freedom is sailing a funky 2 wheeled spaceship just below the heavens

Ride until the Kaws come home

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    i am picking up a MX bike this weekend and i have rode both 2 and 4 stroke but i just cant seem to want a 4 stroke MX bike. they both have their advantages and both are sweet to ride but 2 strokes have always fascinated me more. my budget was 2 grand so a 450 wasnt in the picture for some supermoto

anyone else tend to drift more towards the 2 smokers? or is it just me.

i have a choice between either a KX250 or a CR250 both 00', which one would you pick? kinda leaning toward the honda...
    For a bike that is almost 10 years old get the one that is in the best shape. Don't worry about cosmetics. Plastic and graphics are fairly cheap and they don't make the bike run better. MX bikes aren't designed with longevity in mind, they are designed with performance as the number 1 criteria, and as such they wear out quickly.

Why are you leaning toward the Honda? Even if Honda was the best MXer in 2000 it won't make a hill of beans difference now. No 10 year old bike is going to be competitive in a MX race today unless the rider is substantially better than the rest of the pack, especially as you will be running against 450 4 strokes. If you want it for trail riding, as I have already said, pick the bike that is in the best shape. Pushing a bike home is not fun.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Quote Originally Posted by BrianZ View Post
    For a bike that is almost 10 years old get the one that is in the best shape. Don't worry about cosmetics. Plastic and graphics are fairly cheap and they don't make the bike run better. MX bikes aren't designed with longevity in mind, they are designed with performance as the number 1 criteria, and as such they wear out quickly.

Why are you leaning toward the Honda? Even if Honda was the best MXer in 2000 it won't make a hill of beans difference now. No 10 year old bike is going to be competitive in a MX race today unless the rider is substantially better than the rest of the pack, especially as you will be running against 450 4 strokes. If you want it for trail riding, as I have already said, pick the bike that is in the best shape. Pushing a bike home is not fun.
    i am not worried about being number 1 just want to have fun, going to buy my gf a bike when spring comes so we can share some kind of activity together, besides traveling. i am leaning more towards the CR because its got lots of goodies, the front forks where just rebuilt as was the engine, and it looks very clean. the KX is mint too it just doenst have half the stuff the cr has.

i was finding for around 3grand i could get a early 00's 4 stroke but i just get wherry about what problems they will have in the near future. i can build a 2 stroke in no time but when it comes to 4 stroke engines i would rather have someone fix it for me. i love the reliability of 4 strokes but when they need to be fixed they suck the bank account dry, and most people are not riding their MX bikes lightly. maybe in a couple years i will get a 450 and some road tires but that wont be for a while still need to get a new street bike for next year...damn i need to find a 2nd job lol.

I'll sell you my 06' KTM 450SX (4 stroke) in the low 3's if you want. Was just about to post it up. Tough financial times means great savings on bikes!!!

Back to the issue at hand. I learned on a 2 stroke cause that's all there was at the time, however after riding 4 stroke I really can't see myself going back. 2 Strokes are twitchy and have a killer power band but the 4 strokes I find make you a better rider. With the 2 stroke it was always a bit of a guessing game as to what gear and how much throttle was needed for certain jumps with the 4 stroke if the jump didn't work the first time just give it more gas the next and it would correct itself. I find the extra weight of the 4 stroke doesn't really affect the MX riding either.

My first 2 stroke I rode 2 seasons on a fresh professionally done top end doing everything and anything from trail to mx and the bike took a beating. By the end of the 2nd season I went to take the head apart with help from a mechanic and I was super lucky cause the piston head was cracked in various places some hairline and one real big one, itt was literally 1 ride from popping. With the 4 stroke I've had a buddy ride a 450 and all he had to do is valve checks and regular oil changes. Mind you with his 4 stroke all he did was mild mx riding, no rough trails whatsoever and didn't push it hard on the track and didn't race. I'm guessing he put 20 hours on the engine a season?

4 stroke is the way to go, plus you don't have the pain of mixing gas/oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I'll sell you my 06' KTM 450SX (4 stroke) in the low 3's if you want. Was just about to post it up. Tough financial times means great savings on bikes!!!

Back to the issue at hand. I learned on a 2 stroke cause that's all there was at the time, however after riding 4 stroke I really can't see myself going back. 2 Strokes are twitchy and have a killer power band but the 4 strokes I find make you a better rider. With the 2 stroke it was always a bit of a guessing game as to what gear and how much throttle was needed for certain jumps with the 4 stroke if the jump didn't work the first time just give it more gas the next and it would correct itself. I find the extra weight of the 4 stroke doesn't really affect the MX riding either.

My first 2 stroke I rode 2 seasons on a fresh professionally done top end doing everything and anything from trail to mx and the bike took a beating. By the end of the 2nd season I went to take the head apart with help from a mechanic and I was super lucky cause the piston head was cracked in various places some hairline and one real big one, itt was literally 1 ride from popping. With the 4 stroke I've had a buddy ride a 450 and all he had to do is valve checks and regular oil changes. Mind you with his 4 stroke all he did was mild mx riding, no rough trails whatsoever and didn't push it hard on the track and didn't race. I'm guessing he put 20 hours on the engine a season?

4 stroke is the way to go, plus you don't have the pain of mixing gas/oil.
    It all depends how you look at it,whats more of a pain.Checking your valves every 4-5 rides and changing oil and filter every 5 hours or mixing gas.I have owned both and alot of people including me are going back to 2strokes.Also 2strokes make you a better rider,4strokes are easier to ride becouse of their linear power.You can control the 2stroke hit somewhat with a flywheel weight.You can for sure look up some old bike reviews on both bikes.If the bike took a beating as you say you should'nt wait 2 seasons to do the top end,its only a couple hundred bucks.I took really good care of my WR250F oil and filter change every 5 hrs. the valves never moved.Sold it in the spring and the guy blew it up after 6 months,he says he dont know why.The dealer wants $3.500-$4.000 to fix,he might as well buy another bike.That is one of the reasons Im not buying another 4stroke unless its an old XR.This is not a 2or4 stroke is better its just my personal experience.I dont care what anyone rides as long as you have fun.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 09-23-2009 at 06:14 PM.

I wonder if that guy was experiencing any problems with the engine before it blew up. Usually when the valves are out you have a hard time starting it up, plus there's usually some sort of sign........but not knowing what that guy did means we can't speculate as to what happened.

I shouldn't say the 4 stroke makes you a better rider, it seems to make you a more confident rider from my experiences.

I had a 2 stroke when I was a teenager, that's when I would ride on the road to the dirt trail hidden somewhere or do whatever it took to get out on the bike. That's also a time in your life when you would ride one day and not have enough time to wash the bike properly and ride it again the next day. I tried to take care of it as best I could with my limited capabilities, I was shown what to do by a veteran racer/mechanic/school teacher of 20 years. In fact I'm suprised I managed to get 2 good seasons out of the top end riding as much as I did. I put the H1R Orange sweet smelling oil in her and mixed her 32/1 I believe and it worked great.

I'm not huge into the racing scene and didn't watch any events this year, is there a noticeable sign of a come back of 2T's in CMRC events?

I wonder if that guy was experiencing any problems with the engine before it blew up. Usually when the valves are out you have a hard time starting it up, plus there's usually some sort of sign........but not knowing what that guy did means we can't speculate as to what happened.

I shouldn't say the 4 stroke makes you a better rider, it seems to make you a more confident rider from my experiences.

I had a 2 stroke when I was a teenager, that's when I would ride on the road to the dirt trail hidden somewhere or do whatever it took to get out on the bike. That's also a time in your life when you would ride one day and not have enough time to wash the bike properly and ride it again the next day. I tried to take care of it as best I could with my limited capabilities, I was shown what to do by a veteran racer/mechanic/school teacher of 20 years. In fact I'm suprised I managed to get 2 good seasons out of the top end riding as much as I did. I put the H1R Orange sweet smelling oil in her and mixed her 32/1 I believe and it worked great.

I'm not huge into the racing scene and didn't watch any events this year, is there a noticeable sign of a come back of 2T's in CMRC events?
    Im not talking about racing MX bikes because they dont have much choice,factory riders anyways.Just all the talk on other forums on people that are going back to 2strokes.The guy that bought my bike says he did'nt notice anything different before he had total carnage but thats very hard to believe Here is a picture when I sold it.

i remember seeing your bike in a post before and loved it, looked mint. the guy probably cleaned the engine with sand...LOL.

well i pick up the cr this weekend should be great fun.

who wants to go riding? gotta get some insurance for it this week and i will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    That is one of the reasons Im not buying another 4stroke unless its an old XR.
    my cousin has a early 90's xr200 that thing is a tank he rides it a couple times a month and changes the oil regularly but other then that he hasnt touched it in 2 years.

i wish...budget was only 2 grand. how are the KTM's.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    i remember seeing your bike in a post before and loved it, looked mint. the guy probably cleaned the engine with sand...LOL.

well i pick up the cr this weekend should be great fun.

who wants to go riding? gotta get some insurance for it this week and i will be good.
    Where do you ride? I ride mostly single track at ganaraska.Simcoe forest is probably closer to you though.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 09-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    Where do you ride? I ride mostly single track at ganaraska.Simcoe forest is probably closer to you.
    years ago we use to ride at the clay pits on tramaine, but they are closed and strict with the offroading there. i have never owned a running dirtbike just borrowed my cousins all the time. he rides at a friends farm, and then at our cottage up in sudbury. but really i have a lot of places to find and explore close to here.

anyone know any places close to etobicoke, burlington, and milton area? i know all the famous areas.

what about wasaga?

I cant' believe he killed that gorgeous WR!!!
    I'm on a 4 stroke and I won't bother with a smoker again.
    I can change the oil in like 10 mins, air filters are a breeze. I've rode my bike 3 seasons now, 2 of them heavy hours of racing and I haven't needed the valves adjusted. Bike runs awesome, never been re-built and it's an 04... THAT is why I stay with yamaha.
    I'm buying either a new 2010 or 2011 YZ250F when I come home depending on what the changes in the models are.
    I do notice a slight increase in 2 strokes this year at the track, and honestly at this level of racing we can't use either advantage to it's full potential... I tend to get better starts than the 2 strokes, but after that it's fairly even it seems.

The only time I have wanted a 4 is through the tight single track stuff, where you cant get any where near the power band in first and are either clutching all the time or bogging.