Winterizing questions (less how to, more what to buy)

Thread: Winterizing questions (less how to, more what to buy)

Winterizing questions (less how to, more what to buy)

So sad to start thinking about this, but I need to start perpairing.

So who can give me tips where i can get these for a good price and what else i might be missing.

Fuel Stabalizer
    OIl fillter, should i go with aftermarcket or OEM. Do i need to change the filter or can i buy a cleaning kit, which is better?
    FRONT STAND ( i have a pit bull rear stand, and need some sort of front stand, Should i buy a expensive one or just a cheap one.
    Where can I pick up a good priced front stand.
    Battery tender this i have no info about.

Anything else ill need?

Re: Winterizing questions (less how to, more what to buy)

"If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Again more of a question where to buy and not a how too.

I also fog my cyclinders. Overkill? Yes but im oldschool when it comes to wintgerizing. O and Royal Distributing is having there big RedTag no Tax sale. I have seen lots of stands there, they usually try to clear out all the motorcycle stuff this time of year for there winter stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalski View Post

So who can give me tips where i can get these for a good price and what else i might be missing.

Fuel Stabalizer
    OIl fillter, should i go with aftermarcket or OEM. Do i need to change the filter or can i buy a cleaning kit, which is better?
    FRONT STAND ( i have a pit bull rear stand, and need some sort of front stand, Should i buy a expensive one or just a cheap one.

Anything else ill need?
    Fuel stabilizer - Canadian Tire, any gas station, Sta-bil
    Oil filter - any bike shop (change is better I think, whichever one you normally change when doing an oil change)
    Front stand - can buy the kit from CT, or at any bike shop you should be able to pick up a front stand.... cheap is good enough, unless you wanna do more work to your bike then you'd need one that hooks up under the triple tree...
    Battery tender - at any bike shop, or maybe CT. I got mine at TriCity in Kitchener. You take the battery out, hook it up to the tender, and leave it hooked to it till spring... battery will be good to go right away, without having to charge it since the tender keeps the charge...
    I got the Battery Tender Jr. - http://www.ascycles.com/images/produ...-Tender-Jr.jpg

i throw mine up on stands, fuel stabilizer and thats it. i am too lazy to fog cylinders and take out battery on bike. i just start it up once a week or so, let it run for 15-20 mins, let it get up to operating temp. this will allow time for battery to charge up, and it will move move engine around to prevent any cyl wall corrosion.

but if you dont have a chance to be around it to do that, then full winterization it is. i would highly recommend fogging cylinders. also, check the coolant to make sure its still strong enough, you can get a cheap tester at any canadian tire, not the most accurate things, but accurate enough.

SeaFoam is a stabilizer as well as a carb / FI cleaning fuel additive. I used to use Stabil, but now use Sea Foam, since it performs more than one job.

Generally, I do not dump chemical crap / miracle products / Slick 50 / etc. into my vehicles, but Sea Foam really works. Neighbor's outboard motor was almost impossible to start, and ran poorly if / when it did. I suggested he try Sea Foam. After using Sea Foam, it now starts with a couple pulls. He thanked me profusely, as he was trying to decide whether to to scrap the outboard, or take it to mechanic for service. Made my old lawn mower easier to start too.

Can purchase it from independent auto parts stores.

As noted above, Battery Tender Junior, less than $40, avail. at any bike shop. We use ours year-round to maintain batteries at full charge. Word is the batteries last longer, and only takes 10 seconds to connect before and after each ride. Also use for boat battery, and would for car too if it were going to be parked for long time. Beware imitations - some mini-chargers put out much more power than the Battery Tender (.25 amps, if I recall correctly), which from what I've read, could harm small batteries over long periods.

What to buy?

A japanese bike, then you just turn it off in the fall and fire it up again in the spring.

Winterize schminterize
    ride - if you want to

If you still have you owner's manual it tells you exactly what to do. They always have a section on winterization.
    09 Bandit 1250 Touring
    Previously owned: 00 CBR F4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalski View Post

Fuel Stabalizer

Anything else ill need?
    Canadian tire has the Sportbike stands (with rear spools) for 129$ front and rear. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ke%2BStand.jsp

They also carry a battery tender for 49$
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...Maintainer.jsp

Canadian Tire also has fuel stablizer.... Just get the motomaster brand.
    As for the oil....
    Don't chnage your filter in the fall, change the oil to a cheap dino oil, then in the spring drain the cheap oil, change the filter and replace with your regular oil.

Cheers

Ah the joys of living in South Carolina... winterizing is turning on the heated grips and letting it run for a bit longer when first started. Oh yeah, putting the liner in your jacket

I know, cruel but sorry I couldn't resist.

They also carry a battery tender for 49$
    Why buy a Can Tire-brand charger for $49, when the real Battery Tender is less than $40? Unless it has changed, the CT brand has a much higher charger rate, which is not what you want for plugging it in continuously for 5 months. Get the real Battery Tender.

Don't chnage your filter in the fall, change the oil to a cheap dino oil, then in the spring drain the cheap oil, change the filter and replace with your regular oil.
    The reason to change oil in Fall as part of winterizing is that used oil contains acids, contaminants, etc. that should not be allowed to sit in the parked bike for months. New oil of course does not yet have any contaminants. Change oil and filter before putting it away, and you'll be ready to go in the Spring. Silly to waste money and the brand new oil.

Just buy the cheap 20 dollar charger from crappy. Its just a motorcycle battery. Throw it on the charger (low amperage) for a few hours once a month. Keep it indoors and it will be fine. I would suggest not to go with the crappy tire stands though....... I bought a set when I first got my bike. The rear stand is perfectly fine, but the front will not work on my bike. It kept bending the bolts. I had my local shop order me the front stand from parts canada. It was 50 bucks. Its red, the bottom of the forks rest on 2 rubber pins that pivot. Works like a charm, store my bike on stands year round.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Ah the joys of living in South Carolina... winterizing is turning on the heated grips and letting it run for a bit longer when first started. Oh yeah, putting the liner in your jacket

DAMN YOU REVRANDY!!!

PS - I have relatives in SC, moved from Simpsonville to Greenville. They have a big ol' house in Montebello; I get lost in it!
    Finally, EDDERS HAS COME BACK to GTA Motorcycle! \m/\>.</\m/

aka Dirty Ed of the Gas Guzzlers MC
    http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

heat grips and a jacket liner ??? holy cow, people in South Carolina are wimpy

in could be the coldest day in the History of South Carolina, and people from Canadians would still be out in Shorts and a t-shirt, having a beer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonl View Post
    Why buy a Can Tire-brand charger for $49, when the real Battery Tender is less than $40? Unless it has changed, the CT brand has a much higher charger rate, which is not what you want for plugging it in continuously for 5 months. Get the real Battery Tender.

The reason to change oil in Fall as part of winterizing is that used oil contains acids, contaminants, etc. that should not be allowed to sit in the parked bike for months. New oil of course does not yet have any contaminants. Change oil and filter before putting it away, and you'll be ready to go in the Spring. Silly to waste money and the brand new oil.
    Oil change.... You do realize I said put cheap oil in and leave the filter.... It's not silly at all... the oil that you put in in the fall draws out the acids and contaminents that remain in the engine and the left over oil. So what you are doing is putting in brand new expensive oil, and a filter, and then when spring rolls around you start the bike up with.... drum roll.... contaminated oil and run it to your next oil change with contaminated oil. By changing the oil and leaving the filter in the fall, and then changing to your regular oil, and a new filter in the spring you are removing as much of the acids and contaminents that leech out.

As for the Battery Tender.... Ihave one and it does 12volts at 1.25 amps, which is a slow/trickle charge.
    The crappy tire one does it at 2amps, 4amps, or 6amps selectable, plus it does 6v or 12volts. 2 amps is NOT a much higher charge rate... LOL. The battery tender is a "maintainence" machine. The crappy tire machine is a charger, and a maintainer.... they both have a float mode which maintains the battery.

As for the stands... .I have been using mine for 3 years now with noooooooo problems.

You might also notice from the original post.... he was asking where he might get the items..... which I provided....

Cheers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post

in could be the coldest day in the History of South Carolina, and people from Canadians would still be out in Shorts and a t-shirt, having a beer.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen to that......

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post

The coldest days in SC are about -5c (yes it gets below freezing in Jan/Feb but just at night).

I agree most of the folks here are wimps, heavy jackets at 10c but when it is below zero, some additional clothing besides shorts and a t-shirt are needed.

As for the beer, that works whether it is warm, cold or well, when I am awake regardless of temperature.

Banned

- Stands
    - Something under the bike and stands that will block concrete moisture
    - I don't use fuel stabilizer, it gunks injectors
    - Fill gas tank to top
    - Breathable cover or bed sheet (just to keep dust off)
    - Battery out, in basement, on 2 amp charge once a month
    - Fresh oil change as old oil is corrosive and will eat the mains, and rod bearings
    - No need to change again in spring (waste of money)
    - Bags with rubber bands over exhaust pipes to keep moisture out
    - CD of motorcycle noises to go out and sit on it and dream of how lucky American's are

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    Oil change.... You do realize I said put cheap oil in and leave the filter.... It's not silly at all... the oil that you put in in the fall draws out the acids and contaminents that remain in the engine and the left over oil.
    Cheers
    Yes, but...those acids drained away with the used oil. Oil doesn't draw contaminants out of metal. No reason to waste time or money changing oil that hasn't been run in the engine.

One good reason to use the real Battery Tender is that it is designed exclusively for maintenance, and you don't need to connect and disconnect it, due to circuitry and low output. And the price is less than the one from The Tire you mentioned. It is widely recognized as the best product for the job. They are available at every motorcycle shop I've ever been in. Why not use it?

Regardless, it is ok to disagree. The motorcycle won't suffer for it.