Couple of basic questions for a track novice. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couple of basic questions for a track novice.

Re: Couple of basic questions for a track novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I was going to ask you if you're doing any more, funnily enough. I'm picking up my track bodywork tomorrow and already have everything else I need (I think) waiting to go on so should be good to go by the end of this weekend. I know it's late but I want to ride again this season, and I aint buying a street bike. Yet.
    There arent many days left ...

If you do get everything ready and do pick a date .. let me know. If im not working id come out for a rip around on the track with you.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    What, You don't think Armco to keep you on the track is a good learning tool ? Blind corners are fun too !!

Shanny or Cayuga are better tracks for your first time.

No need for warmers if you're running a street tire like a BT-016. They're designed to heat cycle.
    +1 Shanny is where I learned and it is flat with nothing blind to sneak up on you. Pick a day with Pro6 as they are good for newcomers. 'We are all fast...'
    Post up in the spring with the days you're tracking it. Many will help out.
    A good idea is to look around the site for scrubs. Very good/fair prices here. They'll save your bacon but won't last like street tires. But isn't your keister worth it?? A set of decent scrubs will make the time much more enjoyable as you won't be worrying about the traction (yet). You probably won't reach the breaking point of the tire traction threshold for a bit. This will allow you to concentrate on your riding, lines, body position, entry, apex, exit, braking points, and so on.....
    MOST of ALL.......---------> HAVE FUN
    Last edited by cola_fiend2003; 09-22-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by You Know View Post
    My last tmp day on the labour day long weekend was quite good, but the one I went to in june was a red flag fiesta? I'm fully aware of a clean inside pass and actually enjoy seeing that happen, getting stuffed however aint cool, don't think there contingency money at trackdays, lol.

I have also noticed there are always several riders in INT. that should be in hot, they don't always get bumped. Kudos to all the faster folks that are considerate of the rest of us. IE: Sunny750 was in my group at two seperate trackdays and passed clean, and I know for a fact that she was later moved to Hotshoe. Others, not so nice...Just a fact of life at the track I guess. : )
    What were you riding?

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    If you are a newer rider and require more space wear a duct tape X on your back, other riders are to leave you alone in the corners
    In that case, I'd suggest don't pin it down the main straights also. It's easy to do and it makes it frustrating for those who are much faster through the corners but won't pass you there out of courtesy.

That's my plan anyways. Hit the straight, look back and ease off if someone's on my tail.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    That's my plan anyways. Hit the straight, look back and ease off if someone's on my tail.
    I don't advise looking back to see if people are behind you. If you are concerned about passing then you need to make sure you are looking where you want to go at all times on the track.
    It's the person who's passing responsibility to ensure that the pass is made safely. If you want to ensure that you're not holding anyone up then don't go flat out on the straights and keep a constant line.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    I don't advise looking back to see if people are behind you. If you are concerned about passing then you need to make sure you are looking where you want to go at all times on the track.
    It's the person who's passing responsibility to ensure that the pass is made safely. If you want to ensure that you're not holding anyone up then don't go flat out on the straights and keep a constant line.
    +1 definately good advice.

Dont worry about whats going on behind you, up ahead is what you need to concentrate on.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.