2 dozen motorcyclist wreck in Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 dozen motorcyclist wreck in Oregon

2 dozen motorcyclist wreck in Oregon

2008 KLR650, blue 21 aka Thumper.
    2010 Can-Am RT aka Bomur.

Re: 2 dozen motorcyclist wreck in Oregon

Unbelievable, sorry to hear this . SUV slams on the breaks for no reason it seems like and did some serious damage. Hope everyone recovers !

I hope everybody gets back on 2 wheels in no time. Guys, don't remember to stagger your groups to avoid such accidents.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

those bikes are the worse to crash in. the seating potion leaves you waay open. and most guys on those rides weren't wearing full gear. That's such a shame. Damn those SUV drivers. They never give a damn about bikers on the road. Probably on the cell phone too.

Hope everyone is okay.

Reason why not to go in too big packs.
    Next bike?
    1999 Yamaha YZF R6 (SOLD - Owned it briefly, very nice bike.)
    1990 Honda CBR600F1 (SOLD - Old bike, but good upgrade)

2000 Kawasaki ZZR250R (1 Seasons - SOLD - Great bike)
    2007 Honda CBR125R (1 Week - SOLD - too slow, felt like a scooter)

Wow thats terrible. Didn't really say the Suv was at fault, if anything sounds like the group was riding to close to the traffic and each other. From what I read traffic just jammed up, anybody that has been on the 400 series hwy's has experienced 100-0 in a matter of seconds im sure. None the less I hope they all make a full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Wow thats terrible. Didn't really say the Suv was at fault, if anything sounds like the group was riding to close to the traffic and each other. From what I read traffic just jammed up, anybody that has been on the 400 series hwy's has experienced 100-0 in a matter of seconds im sure. None the less I hope they all make a full recovery.
    If you listen to the report, the eyewitness says that all the traffic was going at 70 MPH but the one SUV slammed on the breaks. So I would believe the driver probably dropped the cell phone.

Or something ran onto the road. The riders were supposed to follow at a safe distance and in a staggered formation. Had they done that, this would not have happened.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Horrible... GWS riders.

damn SUV's, no traffic, everyone going 70MPH in front of them and they slam on their brakes? Man this is serious stuff... jeez... hope the riders in critical condition survive and all of them do heal quick!!!!

Hope everyone gets well soon. Too bad.
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    If you listen to the report, the eyewitness says that all the traffic was going at 70 MPH but the one SUV slammed on the breaks. So I would believe the driver probably dropped the cell phone.
    This is what i got out of it.

Oregon State Police said the motorcyclists were riding in standard formation – two columns – when traffic ahead slowed suddenly. The two lead motorcyclists were able to avoid a collision by maneuvering clear of the stopped traffic, but the rest of the motorcyclists could not stop in time, causing a chain-reaction of crashes with the rest of the group.

TVF&R said there were at least two SUVs that were also involved in the crash.

I notice alot of Harley riders ride side by side and not in a staggered formation, not sure if this was the case but it could definately be a problem if an emergency stop was required.

Hope everyone recovers.

Hopefully everyone pulls through. GWS Riders.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

1st. hope the riders pull thru.

But really...if you can't stop properly at a certain speed...you are following too close. How good are Harley brakes stopping all that weight? How close are they riding behind each other? I can see the first couple of bikes being involved...but that many? I'd chalk it up to group riding rider error at this juncture.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    1st. hope the riders pull thru.

But really...if you can't stop properly at a certain speed...you are following too close. How good are Harley brakes stopping all that weight? How close are they riding behind each other? I can see the first couple of bikes being involved...but that many? I'd chalk it up to group riding rider error at this juncture.
    Weight doesn't come into the equation, you just squeeze a little harder. Could be some of them were taught by old timers to never use the front brake.

Also notice that the first two riders avoided the collision. That seems to indicate that the SUV's action did not precipitate the accident. Most likely, the other riders were following too close for their skill level.

all the people whining about the SUV, please stop posting, it's hurting my eyes...tragic to hear about such an incident, wish the riders all pull through and get back out there...i thought it was just 2 riders at first...wow...

Why is it the SUV that's at fault?

If you can't stop for the vehicle in front of you, you're too close.

With 2 dozen bikers down, that means bikers running into bikers.

Why should we blame cagers for our poor riding?
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Weight doesn't come into the equation, you just squeeze a little harder. Could be some of them were taught by old timers to never use the front brake.

Also notice that the first two riders avoided the collision. That seems to indicate that the SUV's action did not precipitate the accident. Most likely, the other riders were following too close for their skill level.
    Baggsy- Weight does come into play. F=MA. Force equals Mass (weight) x Acceleration.
    ride - if you want to

Wonder if my bike has a better stopping distance than a Harley????

then add in reaction time...attention to the road conditions.....

The pileup was simply caused by riders following too closely and in an unsafe formation. Riding in stagger saved me from a brainfart-induced crash this season.